United and British Airways?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by guberif, Sep 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just did a search on UA.com and it showed me a flight option with BA? What the heck? Did I miss something?

2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen connecting flights at LHR on some BA schedules, but you won't earn miles if you choose that connection.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's all kinds of weird connects in the system, but you won't get UA miles for those.

mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interline agreements (including a joint fare) have nothing to do with alliances. It is the same on this side of the pond, too.

5. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could you insert your BA number into the connecting flight and obtain Avios and Tier points (if any) for the BA segment? Would you at least get credit for flying one BA segment?

6. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:

Yes. You would earn Avios and Tier Points for the BA segments.

7. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
    These non-alliance segments sort of bother me. I assume you could also credit the BA segment to a oneworld partner, like AA? But what about StarAlliance benefits like 3 bags for a Gold? Wouldn't BA not honor that if they're the checking-in carrier on the return?

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this is correct. You'll be subject to the policies of the checking-in carrier and any status you may have with them.

You also have the option to/not to take a flight like this. Often it allows you to get somewhere on a single ticket that UA and its partners may not fly at all or may not fly conveniently.

The example of this that many of us experience all the time is inter-island connections in Hawaii. While the lack of baggage benefits on the return is a pain, it's still a lot better than not being able to buy those interline tickets at all and having some destinations be totally unreachable via UA or only reachable on a single flight a day connecting from the west coast at a potentially inconvenient time (which, by the way, anyone is still free to book if it works for them).

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but...

For baggage the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) rules should apply. It depends on the segments UA and BA are operating but on something like EWR-LHR-OSL return (a common one with BA segments on it) the BA check-in at OSL should apply UA rules to the baggage policy. Should.

JetsettingEric likes this.
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does that only apply to international flights? Just curious how the much-discussed HA baggage issues fit into this. Or maybe they just don't care.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure I saw something about the DoT not enforcing MSC rules on wholly domestic itineraries but I don't know for certain.

Flyer1976 and Misplaced Texan like this.
  12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just surprised to see this, as I hadn't done searches before that showed airlines from a competitor alliance. What's the benefit to UA to advertise this flight option?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They make money on the UA portion (which is almost always the long-haul) and usually do it when they need to serve a destination that they otherwise don't so you don't go buy a ticket from BA or AA or someone.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in the "old days", UA and BA were global partners with QF in providing a continuous round the world service. That's how they came to share a terminal at JFK.

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Must be pre star alliance

16. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    For New Zealand-U.S flights via Australia UA now offer either NZ or QF for the trans-tasman flight

Works well for me as a OWE

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Back when the huge mistake fare for SFO-AKL happened (~6 years ago, I think) LAN and Emirates were also viable carriers for that trans-Tasman segment.

18. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of airlines have little side relationships outside their alliances. With BD no longer in *A and Ansett gone, UA needs partners in the British Isles and Australia. LH partners with JetBlue, which UA would likely argue is completely unnecessary.