United Airlines

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Mrs G, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs G

Mrs G New Member

Status Points:
    Having just returned from a truly horrendous flight with United Airlines I would like to know the best way to complain about this awful airline. Any advice will be gratefully received, many thanks.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is always awful when a means to an end ends up messing up the end, but providing some specifics might elicit more concise advice...

Mrs G likes this.
  3. Mrs G

Mrs G New Member

Status Points:
    Where to start! The attitude of the staff was appalling from the check in desk to the cabin crew.

My husband complained to one male cabin crew member about the way he spoke to an elderly lady and the male cabin crew started shouting at my husband and pointing in his face. It was all I could do to stop my husband from getting out of his seat!

I was tutted at and spoken to rudely for asking for a set of headphones (it was a 7 hour flight!).

Our food was thrown down in front of us and god help you if you needed a drink, they would sigh and roll their eyes!

One poor lady was struggling to hold her baby and put her handbag in the overhead compartment and they refused to help her with her bag! Absolutely shocking!

Defintely the first and last time I will ever fly with United Airlines :S As a seasoned traveller (and I often use budget airlines) I have never experienced such bad customer service. This seemed to be the opinion of a lot of people on the flight and the more people we spoke to the more the complaints were rolling in!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and Mrs G like this.
  5. Mrs G

Mrs G New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I will try those links :)

6. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:

Why bother to waste more of your valuable time and write and complain to United, since this will be " definately your last time you ever will fly United" anyway

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do want a response and possibly some sort of compensation, I suggest making the complaint less emotional and more matter-of-fact. The more specific your examples of poor customer service are, the easier it is for United to address them.

8MiHi, boondr, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your husband chose to pick a fight with the flight attendant about an event he wasn't involved in. Probably not a smart move.

Not shocking at all IMO. Not part of the job and exposes lots of liability issues. Many FAs won't touch bags for that reason.

The official contact point for this type of issue is http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/Contact/customer/default.aspx. The Twitter and Facebook accounts may get you a response but odds are they'll just refer you to the website.

AdamATL, IDGflygirl and Scottrick like this.
  9. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed this sort of behavior, that the OP quoted by some FA's on UA. However, while I was traveling this past weekend (albeit in F cabin) I must say that the service and attention by the FA's was quite nice..

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed the same behavior from FAs on most domestic airlines, from passengers, and from people in the coffee shop, grocery store, etc. The fact is, it's just people misbehaving.

What's different is that we expect employees to not misbehave because they're representing a company. Some carriers are better at policing this than others, but they tend not to be in the U.S.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. On some Asian carriers like TG or SQ, one will usually notice a FA who seems to have more 'authority' than the others and his (it is usually a 'he' I am afraid) duties seem to include keeping an eye on or policing the other FAs.

12. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    link to website's customer service - http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/Contact/customer/default.aspx.

But from my personal experience, all this will get you is a standard statement of apology. Your best approach is probably to vote with your wallet... Also, a word of advice, when dealing with already stressed out flight attendants, humor goes a long way.... (it can even turn into a free drink if its right on point!!!)

8MiHi, TravelBear, MX and 1 other person like this.
  13. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1
    To the OP, I would say you ran into a little bit of bad luck =( Unfortunately having that happen on your first time with a company is enough to drive (err..fly) a customer away.

Cali94102 likes this.
  14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Complaining over Twitter and/or Facebook is akin to public shaming, and frequently tends to result in a faster response. Unfortunately.

Cali94102 and 8MiHi like this.
  15. Mrs G

Mrs G New Member

Status Points:
    All replies appreciated, many thanks :)

8MiHi and Cali94102 like this.
  16. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    i to have the same experience with the travels can some one please help me

17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

The first step is to describe what happened, with as much factual information as you can provide.

18. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have complained recently to UA and was able to get a good resolution. I would do the following:

1) Write down all the details. Stick to just facts. Date/Time, flight numbers, names of crew members, your seat # and those of others who also had issues.
    2) Add any pictures or recording you may have taken.
    3) Do not add emotion but state the facts clearly.
    4) Explain what you would like the resolution to be.

If you have status, use the emails to send the complaint. The process is very long and will take a while. Mine took 3 months to resolve but I was more then happy and I will continue to fly UA.

Having said that, in your case, I would not expect much. The FA do not get paid until the door closes. I have been told by FA that If they get hurt before plane door closes, the company is not required to cover it.

I would stick to just how the FA confronted you husband as that is not normal procedure.

I hope they are able to resolve this to your satisfaction.