United Airlines won't use major advertising campaign to bring back customers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Jan 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the Chicago Business Review:

United Airlines won't use major advertising campaign to bring back customers

In the article they mentioned the following:

Which I find interesting, since that has not stopped United in the past from mentioning all the great enhancements coming to the fleet before anything was actually installed (WiFi, new overhead bins on Airbus, etc.)

hulagrrl210, JLSocks, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's a difference between discussing plans in a forum like this or in a press release and a "major advertising campaign" which would seem to indicate paid media.

Wandering Aramean and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes sense to me. AA has a lot of ads about how great the airline will be. Lie-flat seats are coming! ...in two years. UA wants to wait until they actually have something to talk about (of course, they still do a lot of spots about future improvements, but I feel that many of those are much closer to realization).

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would you consider being bombarded with these upcoming enhancements while on hold with United as advertising?

What about the CEO of the company touting these great things before the safety video on every single flight? Is that advertising to your customers?

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A true weakness of US legacies has been their marketing. Carriers across Europe and Asia, often featuring seat products that are mediocre if not actually sub-par on the majority of their longhaul/longish-haul flights, use mighty marketing machines to make themselves out to be the best things since sliced bread. But American carriers, some of which now offer a superior premium product in many respects to their peers elsewhere in the world, have lost the ability to similarly captivate the customer. It's kinda sad. :(

CescoAiel likes this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    BS, they are working on a new campaign as we speak. Take my word for it (if you can).

MX likes this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see preflight announcements as advertising spend - even if it is. Within the context of advertising counts only if its for non-captive audiences, all I see are CC ads.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marketing, yes. Major advertising campaign, no.

9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're arguing semantics here, but I know folks who work in advertising/PR and while those things are advertising they're not a "major advertising campaign."

To those folks, a "major advertising campaign" is when you produce ads and buy lots of tv/radio/online/billboard/whatever space to get them in front of people.

And, to return to the original topic, I think it's a good thing that UA has decided to actually get the product right before they spend a ton of money advertising about it.

8MiHi, HeathrowGuy, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Captain Oveur, Counsellor and MX like this.
  11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They only need to advertise one thing...

We have the new 78....uhh..wait.

12. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up until now this was one of the things in works...

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, people remember negatives far more than they remember positives. The negative news about the 787 is something that many will remember for years. I think the prudent thing to do is make the reintroduction totally quiet.

Outside of us travel addicts, most people don't even know or care what kind of plane they are on (there's another thread here that discusses that topic). They just want to get from point A to point B, making their decision based on varying criteria - price, number of connections required, schedule, etc.

The time for promoting this plane - as great tempting as it may be once the problem is resolved - has sadly passed. I'm still surprised how many people I meet on planes who have a fear of flying. Once the grounding is lifted, those who care will know and look for the flights. Promoting it would scare away as many (maybe more) people than it would draw.

All of this, of course, is my most humble opinion.

14. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta and Virgin america care about there customers. We suck but our miles work!!

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smartest move UA has made in awhile. The best way to kill something is to advertise the substandard product.

16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the premium traveler, the United product isn't substandard domestically or internationally. In fact, as the airline restores its operational performance, and makes improvements to customer service, it would be a true shame both to United and to the USA if the airline didn't tout the fact that it is indeed among the best airlines on earth in terms of product, and matched by NO one else in terms of network.

I trust the d.r.S.L. will boldly proclaim United's great truths at some point in the near future.