United Airlines Wifi Entertainment...Epic Fail!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by flynhwn, Dec 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    What can I say a 9 3/4 hour trip with no entertainment. All video is with your personal phone, tablet, etc. They say it's on any device but it only on Apple products. The movies won't load on Samsung and passengers were quite upset. Movies are ONLY available on your personal devices as there is no screens in any cabins. This is a pilot program and for the two flights that we took HNL-ORD-HNL a big FAIL!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It actually works on the Android platform so long as you've downloaded the app in advance. And the selection is pretty good. WAY better than the crap they used to show on the overhead monitors.

3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is a less than smooth rollout, this started last year. BYOD does work (now) on all devices - with preloading of the required app prior to use. Reliablity and video selection is improving. My personal issue with this is lack of inseat / onboard power, have been of several connecting BYOD FLTs of 5 hrs. and longer.

Newscience likes this.
  4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish there was a way to complete the viewing of films that you haven't completed before your flight ends aside from purchasing elsewhere.

dvsantana and Newscience like this.
  5. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may work on 737 but not on the 777.

6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the iPad when you take your next BYOD FLT the apple app restarts where you left off.

dvsantana and HiIslands like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't spend too much time doing a side-by-side comparison of the BF built-in movie content and the coach streaming content on a recent 747 flight since I wanted to sleep, but it seemed to me that there was a lot more choices offered on streaming. And when I tested it on my Android tablet, it seemed to work well.

As for the power situation... as dsdiscussed countless times, it is easily solved for $20 with a small portable power pack that is useful in many other situations as well... Such as the non-functioning power plugs in the corner of the IAD UA Club that I am currently sitting in.

bez7 and Newscience like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They do need to replace these signs, though.

ForumRunner_20141206_170839.png

dvsantana likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The 747s have a relatively small selection on the AVOD system compared to the newer versions like on the 787 or newer 767s. Also, the 744 has nil in the back save for overhead screens.

The main difference between in-seat and streaming is "early window" content. That's what the industry calls the newest releases on the planes. Most movie studios don't trust the DRM enough to allow streaming of it.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I look at you, Sony Pictures, and LMAO...

Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd bet all carriers will move to wifi entertainment in the future, cheaper and less equipment to maintain.

I think it's quite good. Using wifi right now on my IAH-SEA flight

bez7, Dublin_rfk, Garp74 and 2 others like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was on another A319 with the system today. It pulled up the movie I was in the middle of on Friday at the point where I had dropped off. That's pretty cool, though doesn't let me finish at home.

13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed! It's hard to believe that WiFi won't be the sole AV choice of all airlines in the near future.

mht_flyer likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How "near" are we talking?

Even UA isn't pulling screens out on the long-haul fleet and included them in the retrofit of the 767s over the past couple years. And Delta upgraded its 744s with the screens even facing imminent retirement. The short-haul/regional and long-haul markets are very different in this space. I would not treat them as one.

And, FWIW, the in-seat IFE vendors are still getting a lot of business in that space.

bez7 likes this.
  15. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ipad or android?

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    iOS. But the functionality is the same in both systems now.

17. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have heard, but it's good to have actual facts.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm basing my statement on observations from other passengers who I know personally, not company statements. Feel free to discount them as you see fit.

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will this thing work with Windows laptops? Requiring an app on an Android or I Phone is too restrictive.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't personally tried it, but my photo in post 8 indicates that it should work with recent browser versions.

My biggest gripe with the free wifi offering is that the flight map is fairly useless and the flight data displayed inconsistent.

bez7 likes this.
  21. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being full of the Christmas cheer, and after a year of playing with the rollout. I must say that even with the failings the product is working reasonably well and I would hope that the improvements continue.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to test that it is going to work *before* getting on the plane? I did everything required for the WN entertainment streaming, but it did not work when I got on the plane :(. I could get the air map, etc. to work, so I know I had the connection, just could never get anything else to stream.

23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. It is driven from the plane's wifi system. It does seem to be an all or nothing function currently. I had several on board no-connections before things smoothed out

24. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: for the most part 737s wifi no entertainment, inseat power in 900s, 319s & 320s wifi and entertainment no in seat power. Both systems have been observed working on android, Apple, and pc systems.

25. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My issue with this is the awkwardness of trying to watch something on my tablet while using the tray table for something like, oh, I don't know, eating.