United Airlines upgrades SIN-HKG to 747

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lusfort, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to have a big plane, but we were able to get upgrades for free on the 737s. I imagine that those will now be history.:(

3. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really an upgrade considering pre-merger, they used the 747s anyway. It's just restoring what used to already be in place.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precisely...

5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those situations where I prefer to pay more (whether in $$$ or upgrade certs) and get more.

JLSocks likes this.
  6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    NRT-TPE is of similar duration to HKG-SIN, and that flight is CPU-eligible. I don't think it's out of the question that HKG-SIN will become a CPU route with the return of the 747...

7. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! what was your success rate like if you don't mind me asking. I would think people flying out of SIN would more often than not be Krisflyer members. It's kind off a social status to be a PPS member. What UA status do you have? thanks!

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    About time. In my experience, my company has had people ticketed in business coming ORD-HKG and then on to SIN and not been able to get a seat in biz on that tiny, piece of junk HKG-SIN many many times the last few months. We've gotten emails from HQ to keep people away from United because of this.
    Back in May, we were 12 biz pax back in coach for 4 hours after a 15 hour marathon ORD-HKG. And the best part was that they charge 7 bucks for drinks back there as well. :rolleyes:

9. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have taken that flight since UA switched it to a 738 and have to say that it's a real subpar experience, even in F, and especially when you're connecting from a 15-hour flight from the US.

10. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think ANA serves as a much better alternative. Attentive and courteous stewardesses, excellent food, AVOD, free alcohol & elite bonus miles on united as well.

11. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grumble, grumble.

12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% but that was last Winter. We all know what has happened in the last 6 months with regards to upgrades.
    I and wife are 1Ks

13. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And considering post-merger, they used the 747s as well, as recently as last September when I flew on it, and later...