United Airlines to cut Guam jobs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.guampdn.com/article/20120920/NEWS01/209200306/United-Airlines-cut-Guam-jobs

United Airlines yesterday said it remains committed to keeping Guam as one of its hubs, but confirmed it will shed potentially dozens of Guam jobs to keep costs down.

The reductions stem from the airline's plan to close its Guam Contact Center, reduce its airport operations staff and outsource cargo handling operations.

The airline didn't specify how many workers will be let go, but did confirm the contact center has 48 employees. There currently are 42 employees in the Guam cargo department, including agents, management and clerical employees, according to an airline official.

Read More: http://www.guampdn.com/article/20120920/NEWS01/209200306/United-Airlines-cut-Guam-jobs

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting development as most of the profitable flying in Guam is Cargo based and subsidies by the Government as well to operate the Island Hopper and Military traffic between Guam & Hawaii.

desamo likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    ABWP Airport is the most over-provided commercial aviation facility in the world.

Just look at the GUM terminals/lounges, the size of that infrastructure, for an island of that tiny population... Growth coalition politics at work, not justified by the size of the market without tacit subsidies.

I've flown from/to, walked to/from ABWP airport many times over the years - gotta love the taxi cabal and its gouging rate to places like the Santa Fe, easily walkable down the hill - and although I like having the services, there's just no way it can be a sustainable operation without the military/dependent economy.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be fair Guam also has a lot of O/D tourist traffic from Japan to sustain the Guam operation.

redtailshark likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some, yes, but those justify the 738s to FUK and so on. Not the monumentally huge terminal structure that rings hollow most of the time. The echoing corridors at GUM when disembarking from that horrendous HKG-SPN-GUM redeye, for example....

Even the Koreans, who like the Jinro n'buckshot ambience of the Tumon strip indoor ranges, can't justify such largesse.

In contrast to ABWP structure, my fave Guam travel experience was the low-end car rental from CU at Tamuning. The 93 model Sentras for the discounted $15/day rate were comical...you know, the ones with the rotted and rusted floors showing daylight and the windshields falling out... muahaha! I always asked for their "discount special," it provided the right ambience for my cross-island drives. It's a wild place and you need a wild car, ah, yes....to Ipan and Pirate Jeff's place or UOG.

Hey, karma! I'm wearing my electric blue Pirate Jeff's Ipan T-shirt today here in DC!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But doesn't the terminal also provide shelter for the entire island's population from typhoons? I thought the terminal was over-sized and over-engineered not simply for growing needs of commercial air traffic, but to actually house islanders in an emergency. I thought the same was true for SPN's terminal, although it's much smaller for a much smaller population.

Flyer1976 likes this.