United Airlines Struggles to Keep Its Polaris Promises

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by misman, Oct 20, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWR-BCN-EWR Polaris business was pleasant. I enjoyed the food offerings (beef ribs outgoing, chicken return), the FAs were professional and courteous and the Polaris pillow and blankets were comfortable. The lie-flat was an older model (no upgrade here yet) that was too narrow to truly sleep on. The amenities kit was nice but not up to my all-time favorite (2003 Continental with a leather luggage tag). The globe shaped salt and pepper shakers did make me smile.

misman likes this.
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes UA did oversell Polaris. That said, THE lounge at ORD is nice. I’ve had a very even service through six visits. I would really like to see few more Polaris lounges open. Hard product (77ER) has also been consistently good. Then I’m a lot more tolerant it seems than most who post - especially on the TOBB. The soft product is a step up from the past. But I really don’t consider it Polaris. I’m off (way off) next week with a series of long haul TPAC flights. A 77ER to NRT, a 787 from SIN with an ANA 787 in between to compare UA Polaris to ANA.

misman likes this.
  4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see the challenge of all of the airlines being cost. I won't estimate the expense for upgrading the cabin, service, etc., but it has to be tough if you can't sell the seats.

Sure, we "buy" them with miles and other upgrade types, but how can that offset the expense of the experience we want compared to what they can provide.

5. Kiwii_Xan

Kiwii_Xan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took Polaris from ord-nrt last week. It was nice, but not fantastic. The hard product wasn't upgraded so that played a huge part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using InsideFlyer mobile app

ande777emt and misman like this.
  6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They diluted the brand by it not being ready, so you have a 90% chance of not getting true Polaris service from lounge to plane.

By the time it is fully rolled out, the lounges will probably be at parity with Amex lounges and the seat will feel old compared to new seats coming online, like Delta's.

The ORD lounge is better than any GlobalFirst lounge UA had systemwide, so that is a plus. The linens are great, albeit superfluous. But the seat itself is more uncomfortable than UA's (CO) current seat. And the food quality and variety has not been great.

Olton Hall, ande777emt and misman like this.
  7. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ymmv, but I think more of an airlines with nicer linens, like SU's new C duvet.

I've heard very mixed reviews of the new seat though. Yay for aisle access, however it appears to be fairly narrow, although almost anything is an improvement over the sUA C seats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using InsideFlyer mobile app

misman likes this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    My feeling is that you have zero chance of true Polaris service. ORD has the only Polaris lounge and zero 77Ws are scheduled through ORD. I have flexibility when scheduling travel and as nice as the Polaris lounge is the soft product ride doesn’t temp me to fly through ORD I would rather reposition to a 77W than fly a soft Polaris.

misman likes this.