United Airlines Status Match

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dwturner, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dwturner

dwturner Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently applied to United for a status match (challenge?). I am platinum on AA, have flown nearly 3 million miles so the match made sense. I had done a similar match in 2006 with United. I submitted all the info and heard back that they were denying my request because I had been matched two years ago - prior to the merger - on Continental (during that period getting united to honor my continental status was iffy). Anyone have thoughts on this and if there is a path to getting them to do the match? Ill probably fly 25k miles on united in the next 45 days so it would seem to be a good thing for them to do.

2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are once in a lifetime so my guess is no.

edekba likes this.
  3. dwturner

dwturner Active Member

Status Points:
    United says every five years.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, it's every five years. Even though you matched before the merger, in theory a merger means they inherit the business of both prior entities. So yeah, you had a status match two years ago and need to wait three more.

Your only chance at an exception is if you are a very high value customer -- someone they cannot ignore.

5. dwturner

dwturner Active Member

Status Points:
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification. That sucks since I got almost nothing on the continental match because the merger was so challenging. Got a lot of suffering to do on united before im high value :)

6. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe an MP Explorer Card can help with a few benefits to get above the fray.
    Priority lines for check in, baggage included, and move up boarding groups.
    Won't help much with seating.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on your travel trends. IME, domestic F tickets are usually considerably more expensive than domestic E, but my typical traffic pattern is between the USA and Central America/Northern South America. The Z fares on those routes aren't always prohibitively expensive. With that, you get 150% mileage credit and a guaranteed seat at the front of the bus. Travel enough, and status can be gained in a reasonable amount of time with little to no suffering other than baggage allowances and a few other less-used (in my case, at least) perks.

If flying domestically, OTOH, I recommend buying one of these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14256911 I use it when flying on RJs or when I don't get an UG, and it's incredible how refreshed I feel upon arrival. Buy it through the online shopping portal of the airline you most need the miles, and you'll get additional benefit.

Just don't forget to take it with you when deplaning. I'm on my second one. :(

8. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    start a new account from scratch. ask for the match on the new account, then merge the two accounts after the 3 months. I know someone close who has done this 4 years in a row