United Airlines pilot makes emergency stop and kicks child with autism off plane...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines pilot makes emergency stop and kicks child with autism off plane because he 'felt uncomfortable'

:eek::(:eek:

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The girl wanted a hot meal and threatened to scratch some eyes out if she did not get her way.

Hard to tell what else they might do if they do not get their way.

At 35,000 feet I would not want a bunch of problems in the rear, have enough up front.

Pilot is responsible for everyone's safety.

I would have done the same thing..

Problem Solved, Problem eliminated...

joesmoe, Gargoyle, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. Pilots decision. Nothing else you can do.

It's their plane during that route. Not United's, not the family.

joesmoe, Gargoyle, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, this sounds too easy. Autism usually isn't the problem, it's the attitude.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm rather sorry about his decision, especially the "problem" could be resolved with the right attitude, a hot meal, some understanding and voila, he would have garnered some good news along the way.

anileze, satman40 and iolaire like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the reports I've seen the mother effectively threatened the flight crew with the potential for a melt-down and the kid causing physical harm to someone. That's a darn good reason to get them off the plane IMO. It is not about autism but the potential for a passenger to become disruptive to a level which could cause harm to someone.

Gargoyle, anileze, 8MiHi and 5 others like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Autism is a disorder and needs special care, I have seen some care takers hurt pretty bad by some of the patients actions.

It is a serious problem in group homes, and I have seen property's destroyed.

If this lady was a real MD, she should have been prepared with a hot meal, and not used threatening language toward the FA., many say they are a Doctor in Acdemia Land,

I have rented to group homes, and seen the damage, sustained by unprepared staff.

The Autism patients are real people, very loving, yet they do have a disorder, and it can be miniplated, buying a hot meal and a little prep would have been the responsible thing to do,, not threading a flight crew for not being prepared for the tantrum that might follow,

The responsible thing would have taken her to Disney land in California, and limited the time exposed to the uncontrolled world. The trip was for the staff, not the patient, which is often the case in charity work,

9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a Black or White / Right or Wrong issue.
    There are many shades / levels of Autism and with those gradations there a good days and bad days. Now add attitudes and personalities and you have a completely unpredictable travel experience.
    So now we have an instance were nobody comes out looking good.
    The mom may have been "stressed" and not communicated her child's needs well to the flight attendant.
    The flight attendant may have taken the mom's "request" as just another pushy customer.
    This may have caused the communication between the flight attendant and the cockpit to be more tense than it needed to be.
    The cockpit crew (with the responsibility for the safety of the plane, passengers, and crew) reacted within guidelines.
    At any point during this process almost any reaction by all involved could have defused or escalated the situation.
    Having observed a few of these "blowups / meltdowns" while traveling and at home. I can tell you the experience can be a good learning experience or a wild ride. A lot of it hinges on the ability of the care giver / parent's ability to maintain an environment that will lessen the chance of a "blowup / meltdown". But if the experience is properly managed and the child has a good experience it can lessen the problems in the future.
    As back ground I have a grandchild diagnosed with Autism and I and my +1 have traveled with him. Properly planned and managed the experience can be positive but it can but doesn't have to be very stressful on the care giver / parent.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The mother, who probably knows her daughter best, seems to have made it pretty clear that she wouldn't necessarily be able to control the situation and that someone might get hurt. This, IMO, is a good and valid reason for the crew to take steps to mitigate those risks. They have a responsibility for all passengers' safety and comfort.

11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all feel sorry for other people, and we all try to help.

What is amazing all the money and time donated seems to make ir's way to the top of the food chain, and never really helping those in need.

Let the caregiver bring a hot meal, she was in charge, she did not make it her priority, so she is blaming someone else for her shortcomings

The airlines did their job, taking care of all the passengers and their safety,

8MiHi likes this.
  12. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to hear the pilot's definition of "uncomfortable." Lots of things make people uncomfortable but don't rise to the level presented here. Absent articulable reasoning, I think the pilot made a spot decision that in hindsight was ill chosen. Lessons to be learned here.

uggboy likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The pilots are trained to transport a hundred or more passengers in an aluminum tube at 35k ft from point A to point B. They are trained to put safety first, and they are doing an absolutely amazing job considering the laws of physics and the frequencies of accidents that cause physical harm to us passengers. If in doubt, get to the ground and sort things out there. They are not trained as physicians to evaluate the medical condition of passengers. I am sure there's a lot of 'splainin' to do (paper work) when a pilot chooses to divert the plane since the cost to the airline is usually not insignificant.

What would the story be if the passenger had in fact injured another passenger after the mother warned the cabin crew about that possibility and the flight had proceeded as planned?

What was the mother's plan for the very possible scenario where no hot first class food had been available for her to commandeer?

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Who knows what he said. You got the term "uncomfortable" from the reporter, who got it from the mother, who got it from the medics/police who got it from the pilot. Allegedly. #GameOfChineseWhispers

jackplum likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The usual sentiment.

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds about right.

17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The usual sentiment.

18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too easy views here. While popular with some here, they don't really help.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ditto :)

20. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got it! Apparently. Perhaps. From what I have heard. Maybe.

satman40 likes this.
  21. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is another thing people who don't fly frequently and the media seem to completely overlook. Anyone want to guess how many times a day an FA gets asked about food? How many times someone has said "any extra meals from up front" or "my child is hungry, can I have something"?

moongoddess, Dublin_rfk and Gargoyle like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is hard to constantly have a level-headed, rational view which aims to collect all the data before jumping to conclusions. I'm happy I continue to do so as usual. ;)

satman40 likes this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The press loves to spin these things, in fact the demanding passenger was, and still is spinning the situation.

The pilot limited the liability, and I doubt it was his first ride.

We live in an entitled world, and everyone needs to look into the mirror to solve the problems.

IDGflygirl and Dublin_rfk like this.
  24. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the autistic teenager won't eat anything that isn't hot, Mom should have thought ahead and packed a couple of those Cup-a-Soup or instant Ramen noodle packets in her carryon. Getting food of any kind (let alone hot!) is iffy on a plane, but hot water you can always get (absent prolonged severe turbulence, of course).

Maybe in the future she'll prepare better. The onus is on HER to plan around her daughter's disability, not on the airlines. (Especially since in this case United wasn't notified of her food issues in advance.)

Gargoyle and IDGflygirl like this.