United Airlines Opens New Seattle United Club, Consolidates Operations

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, May 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/23/5443499/united-airlines-opens-new-seattle.html

United Airlines has opened its new United Club lounge in Concourse A at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, the second club to feature the airline's new design concept. The opening coincides with the consolidation of United's terminal facilities to Concourse A, offering customers improved accessibility to gates and a wider variety of concessions.

The 6,096-square-foot United Club in Seattle features a new interior, offering views of the Cascade Mountains, a refreshed bar and lounge overlooking the United terminal and additional workstations and power outlets. The new and improved furnishings enable customers to relax or work with greater ease and comfort.

"The new United Club in Seattle offers customers a warm, relaxing and improved airport lounge experience," said Martin Hand, senior vice president of customer experience at United. "We are investing in our products and facilities, in the air and on the ground, and offering customers more ways to relax, be productive and enjoy their overall travel experience."

Read More: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/23/5443499/united-airlines-opens-new-seattle.html

8MiHi, Biggles209, yunicorner and 5 others like this.
  2. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    You beat me to this. I was actually thinking of going to the club today or tomorrow and seeing what it was like. Just a heads up, there are a lot of confused folks showing up at the airport and going to the old united area because they did a horrible job announcing the change in location ahead of time. There were no signs up last week letting people know of the change. I knew the exact date simply because i asked them. Heck even united.com or the seatac webpage doesn't even have the gate change locations on the page yet. Both still say N.

The change in gate location to A is actually a better deal for most folks. No more having to ride the train or having to play guessing games as to whether you need to go out of N or B for your flight. The down side is that the food and beverage options that far down the terminal aren't the best. Though maybe that will change soon.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yea, but the same old towers of carbohydrate power filled with the same old kibble

IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cheese has no carbs. I don't eat (many) carbs. Mmmm.... Cheese and.... uhhh... cheese.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've traveled through the new UA location at the A concourse in SEA twice, and visited the new United Club twice. I really wanted to like the new location, but I have decidedly mixed feelings. Of course the concourse itself feels newer and lighter, with higher ceilings and more natural light, so that's a plus, and it's nice to have all of the UA flights in the same area.

I'm disappointed in the new club. The club seems more crowded to me than the old clubs, and almost all of the seats were occupied both times I was there - admittedly in the peak period around 11am when pax for the NRT flight are in the club. While the club has daylight and is brighter, the overall decor is very blah - there is a lot of white and nothing particularly striking. There are more outlets. No runway or ramp views - windows face the east, mainly parking garages, and a view of the concourse on the other side. The bathrooms don't have enough facilities - in the men's room there are 2 urinals and 1 stall and that's it. (North satellite club had 3 stalls and either 3 or 4 urinals.). No showers.

Pre-check is still at the center of the terminal. It's quite a walk to the gates. Arriving is shorter, unless you need to go to the light rail station, which is at the north end.

I had been hoping that I'd be more positive about the new club. At best I think it's a wash compared to the north satellite.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone who has been to the new SEA club also been to the new ORD club? How do they compare? I love the new ORD location.

7. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    New ORD lounge beat the heck out of the one it replaced, which isn't saying much at all. It is much bigger and therefore less crowded but as always, same old TOCP (towers of carbohydrate power) and other edibles.

My only question is why not put in a soda machine like SFO where one can get soda water or pop without having to go to the bar? NWA had such a better operation in that regard with their WorldClubs.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to both clubs. Some of the design features are common, particularly some of the counter seating with stools and built in plugs. And the white color scheme is similar. However the Chicago club is about four times bigger than the club it replaces, and was comfortably occupied while I was there. It also had a generous bar, ramp views, and large washrooms. The Seattle club is no larger than the North satellite RCC club it replaces, but it must also do the duties of the former CO PCin B. It has no ramp view. The bar is small and pedestrian. It is missing any kind of wow factor.

9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was mostly commenting on the appearance of the lounge itself. Yeah, I agree that the food options generally are pretty lousy. Appearance wise, I really like the look and feel of the new ORD lounge.

I agree that it would be great if they had self-service soda fountains, like the newer ORD B UC has, or the SFO location.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta believe that will change, since there is money to be made.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I connected through SEA on Thursday on AS. Arrived in N, departed C.

N isn't a ghost town, but there are several wall hangings and a few gate podiums that are empty. Very unusual to not see any sign of United anywhere around there.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is already a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf right next to the Club. Together with the more spacious feel of that terminal, I'm much less inclined to pay for a Club membership (I liked N, but it got pretty crowded). I agree most of the other food options are not so good, and the walk from the rest of the airport is a pain in the ass.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in this club now. I must say I like the A concourse better. It's the first new design club I've been to so I can't comment how it compares to any other one that has been rolled out. Clean, modern design. We will see how well it holds up over time. It is quite crowded at the moment, but the old PClub was generally quite full as well. I enjoy having the increase in outlets, both plugs and USB power ports. All in all, a much needed improvement. Not perfect, but nothing to truly complain about either IMO.

14. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the A concourse a lot better than the N gates. Haven't been to the new club yet, but I like the new design club in ORD.

Flyer1976 and ssullivan like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's never stopped us before. ;)

8MiHi likes this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You look at the area by AS C/D gate areas, and it's a mall that just happens to have airplanes parked outside. I'm sure the Port will come up with ideas for food and shopping. Again, when there's money involved, it's likely to happen.

17. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad that this lounge at SEA also does not have showers.

mtbroxs likes this.
  18. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, there is no 'wow factor' at United. Generic, off-the-shelf and middling accurately describe what the post-merger airline is becoming. Zero panache and complete consciousness of the bottom line above all else... but I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect anything different, either.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  19. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that no showers now with space to build them later or no showers at all (except by treking over to the DL SC)?

Not to go too far off topic but there was an excellent a.net thread the other day where the current UA branding blandness was described as, "cheerfully inoffensive".

It's a shame UA can't step up their game here as I think they can do better.

ssullivan likes this.
  20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they still serve Alaskan Amber at the new UC in SEA?

21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are confusing the AS Boardroom, which serves Alaskan Amber, as well as a rotating local Microbrew, which has included Manny's Pale Ale, Mac & Jack's African Amber, and many others.

When I was at the new UC, their taps weren't working at all. But the old club had a Pyramid Hefeweizen, Heineken, and some mass market swill, don't remember which one. But Pyramid is not a very good beer. I wish they'd put in Manny's Pale Ale.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  22. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well excuse me for confusing myself :rolleyes: BUT the old sCO PC in the B gates DID serve bottles of Alaskan Amber back then when it was a Presidents Club.

23. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea if there is space or not.

But, thanks...cause ...now, I know that the DL SC at SEA has showers:cool:
    (though I dont have SC access as such:()

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    To what end?

Without the operational stability to back it up all the marketing in the world isn't going to rake in profits.

25. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are supposed to be consolidating operations in SAN this August. All UA flights will be from Terminal 2 with the exception of the commuter to LAX (still at the commuter terminal). I asked the rep at the UA Club in Terminal 1 (no UA Club in Term 2 yet) if this was going to be done over a few days period. Nope. Everything will consolidate at once. I have a flight in mid-August. i hope the consolidation happens after that and not just before. I'm sure it will take a few days to work out the kinks plus dealing with all the people still trying to catch their flight in Terminal 1. I hope the new lounge in Terminal 2 will be nice.

8MiHi likes this.