United Airlines Mechanics Reach Tentative Agreement

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AmericanGirl, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL), announced that it has reached a tentative agreement on a labor contract with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT), representing United's technicians and related employees.

"We are pleased that, following our merger, the new United is continuing to make progress in reaching agreements with our represented employees," said Jim Keenan, senior vice president of Technical Operations for the combined company. "We now have a ratified agreement with our mechanics at Continental and a tentative agreement with our United co-workers, providing a path to reaching a single, joint agreement with both groups represented by the IBT."

The agreement covers approximately 5,500 United technicians and related employees located throughout the United States.

http://www.airlinenewsresource.com/article53302.html

chrislacey likes this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this info! It is nice to see labor relations moving along. I did notice that, when referring to UA employees, the word "tentative" agreement is used, whereas with CO that word isn't used. Any idea why the UA agreement is tentative? I'm assuming both groups will need to agree to a new contract once the companies are combined, or am I confusing things?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that it is considered tentative because the union membership hasn't ratified it yet. It goes out to vote and if it doesn't pass then they're back to no contract. That happened with the CO FAs on their most recent negotiations.