United Airlines laying off 472 at Newark airport

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Jan 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/United-Airlines-laying-off-472-at-Newark-airport-4194530.php

United Airlines is laying off 472 employees at Newark Liberty International Airport and shifting their duties to an outside contractor.
    The employees include cargo agents, customer service agents and customer service coordinators. Those who move cargo between airplanes and cargo facilities will not be affected.
    United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson tells The Record newspaper the jobs are not a core function and can be performed by other companies at a lower cost.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/United-Airlines-laying-off-472-at-Newark-airport-4194530.php#ixzz2I2nKprvP

Flyer1976 and Kalboz like this.
  2. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like this is the result of UA's decision last year to outsource the legacy CO cargo operation to match the United subsidiary. Not terribly surprising given that announcement.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    United: Customer Service is not a Core Function.

Is that really the message here?

avflyer, mht_flyer, kwai and 3 others like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kind of reads that way to me.

In the long run, I'm guessing some of these 472 will be retained, albeit of course at a lower wage and less benefits....hooray free market.

rwoman and FlyingFree like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That got me too. Customer service is of minimal importance to United? They can farm it out to a less costly option?
    I would think that CS would be one of the most important. :confused:

mht_flyer and rwoman like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it's customer service related to cargo handling?

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not as important as making money. And if they can make money doing this, they're going to do it. That's just the way it is.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In cases like this it is trivial to calculate the cost savings. But it's probably not nearly as easy to even estimate reasonably accurately the overall impact on revenue and the bottom line.

9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    These layoffs only effect the Cargo division. The customer service agents the article is refering to are the counter agents that do the paperwork. Pre-merger UA outsourced it's cargo division during their bankrupcy. My jailhouse lawyer personna believes that had the New UA retained cargo that they might have been required to bring back the furloughed sUA cargo agents since both sUA and sCO agents are under a union contract. Nothing has been posted (on other sites) if their union is doing anything about this.

IDGflygirl, LETTERBOY, ella and 4 others like this.