United Airlines Increases 787 Dreamliner Order To 65 Aircraft

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.rttnews.com/2137505/unit...amliner-order-to-65-aircraft-quick-facts.aspx

United Airlines, an unit of United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL: Quote), has increased its 787 Dreamliner order to 65 aircraft, including six previously delivered aircraft, with an order for 20 787-10s. United is the North American launch customer for the 787-10 and it expects delivery of its first aircraft in 2018. United ordered 10 incremental 787-10 aircraft and would convert 10 existing 787s on order to 787-10s, enabling the airline to further modernize its international widebody fleet by replacing older, less efficient aircraft.

According to the company, the advanced technology and composite construction of the 787 reduce fuel burn and carbon emissions, while providing a superior customer experience.

Read More: http://www.rttnews.com/2137505/unit...amliner-order-to-65-aircraft-quick-facts.aspx

jbcarioca, desamo, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like Smisek has had plenty of his own kool-aid, no?;)

jbcarioca, uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many more seats does the -10 fit?

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty much a replacement for the 772ER, although a little longer. Sort of in between 772 and 773. UA currently has 266 seats on their int'l 772, so I'd guess maybe 280-300 on the 787-10. Still can't replace their 744's (maybe 777X?)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to Boeing, "with seating for 300-330 passengers, depending on an airline's configuration choices."

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boeing's website says the 772ER is 301 in a typical 3-class config. UA has 266.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    In United's case, the '10' will probably stand for 10-across seating.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

I'd need more than just kool-aid to fly in the back and find it comfortable.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally thought the same thing. I flew ANA's 787 with 8-abreast and, while comfortable, can't imagine UA's 9-abreast. 10 would be nuts!

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

No need to imagine it. You can experience it! Operators are standing by. 1-800-UNITED-1. If you book by midnight today, you are eligible for two free CR2 add-on segments for repositioning and preparation for the experience.

13. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this like Spinal Tap? Crank it up to 11?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew the 9-across last Monday DEN-NRT. It was cramped, in part because the guy in the middle seat was ~6'4"/260#. And yet I managed to survive just fine. I actually came away from the flight feeling better than I typically do on long-haul trips.

15. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    8-abreast on the ANA 787 was awesome. I was in one of the 2-seat pairs on the aisle, and with the 34" pitch, I was really comfortable. Even the "shell" seat didn't bother me (and I'm 6'2").

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Come fly the friendly skies. It's cramped, but our coach passengers do survive.

:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did the ANA version in Y on day 3 of service. It was definitely more spacious and comfy. There will always be differences between the airlines.
    Sadly, for some airlines this is the level of product they strive for. And I'm not entirely sure that it is the wrong approach. Some passengers will pay a bit extra for more legroom (E+, EML, EC, MCE, etc.) and some will pay extra for real premium economy. At the same time, however, Spirit sells a whole lot of seats that are a whole lot worse. The market offers options for consumers. We pay for what we want and, in general, we mostly just care about the absolute lowest fare.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

I have survived 10 hours in LH economy in a middle seat in economy of an A340. But I can't say that it made me want to repeat that experience, and so I don't fly LH long-haul in coach if there is an alternative that's more comfortable, even if it means paying a reasonably higher fare for that.

I have survived a red-eye from SFO to IAH in United's 787. Had a bulkhead window seat, so legroom was great, and if the middle seat had been my wife, it would have been okay, but rubbing shoulders for four hours with a stranger wasn't that nice of an experience. Not sure that cool window shades and higher pressurization make up for it.

I do realize that the vast majority of coach passengers probably have no idea how UA's 787 seat width compares to other airlines. And AA's new 773 isn't a model of spaciousness either.

Now that ANA is flying SJC-NRT again, I may have to give their 787 product a try.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:

I'd highly recommend it! Even in Y.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you get it on a 016 stock ;)

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That one is likely easily available as such given that it is part of the JV.

jbcarioca and adambadam like this.
  22. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that mean that being on 016 stock you get MM credit, or do you have to be on UA metal as well?

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This purchase makes excellent economic sense for UA because the -10 operating economics will be superb. The -10 is very unlikely to have the teething problems of the current model as well,but the first orders have allegedly been with unusually deep discounts. The A350-1000 will compete for that mission too, but it will be delivered later and pricing is allegedly less flexible than were the first B787-10 orders. This was a smart decision IMHO.

The market for large twins has gone wild so none of them are going to be coming as quickly as airlines want them, in part because Spirit supplies major components of both (actually they now supply fuselage components for all current and announced Boeings and all new Airbusses. The supply chains of the industry are now stretched to the breaking point and taht will not change anytime soon. Thus it would not even be surprising to see UA order more fairly soon, maybe from Airbus too.

Whatever happens I have zero desire to fly any of them long range economy.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As of today, UA & CM metal are all that count for MMer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    UAX will also count, which technically is not UA metal. Although it will usually have the globe on the tail.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.