United Airlines Expands TSA PreCheck Programme Access to Newark, Dulles Airports

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ACMM, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

U.S. carrier United Airlines (NYSE: UAL) has announced the launch of the Transportation Security Administration's PreCheck programme at Newark Liberty International Airport C3 Checkpoint this week and at Dulles International Airport main terminal later this month.

TSA PreCheck is a new, risk-based pre-screening initiative that allows customers to volunteer information about themselves that may make them eligible to expedite their screening experience. Eligible United customers traveling through Terminal C3 Checkpoint at EWR and the departures level of the main terminal at IAD are allowed to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belts and to keep their laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids and gels in their carry-ons.

The TSA manages and operates this program and is working with United and with U.S. Customs and Border Protection to identify possible participants, United said. Eligible United MileagePlus members are being invited to participate in the initial phase. Non-members may qualify by becoming eligible members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Trusted Traveler programs.

For customers who choose to participate, the TSA will determine eligibility for expedited screening prior to each flight and will embed this information in the barcode of eligible customers' boarding passes. TSA agents will scan the boarding pass and will direct eligible customers to the assigned pre-screening lane. The TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures, so no customers are guaranteed expedited screening.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does one find out whether or not one is enrolled in PreCheck? Has UA sent out the list of those who have been approved? Am I automatically approved because I have Global Entry/NEXUS?

3. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    you need to request PreCheck in your UA profile (TSA pre-screening program )and add your trusted traveller number if you have one (this includes GE/Nexus).
    You can also manually add the your trusted traveller number in your resevraion by "Edit Traveler information"

8MiHi likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did that a long time ago. I just went to Edit Traveler Information and my GE/NEXUS number is already there. But then there this:
    NOTE: Once you apply, you will receive no further communication from the TSA or United about your status in this program.
    Which was really my question: How does one know that one is eligible for this since I got no further communication from TSA or UA on this?

P.S. I guess how it works is up to UA. They need to embed the info in my BP when I check in

What to do next:
    • When departing from a participating airport on an itinerary wholly within the United States, visit the TSA pre-screen designated security checkpoint.
    • The TSA agent will scan the barcode on your boarding pass and will direct you to the pre-screening lane if you are eligible for expedited security for your flight.
    Importantly, neither of my two departure airports (JFK, LGA) is part of the program, which is why I may not have noticed anything different...

8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the three beeps for the first time at PHL (D gates) the other day. Even TSA was a little surprised... "Oh yeah, we don't have PreCheck here, you would have to go over to the C gates."

Now that is let-down.

6. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used PreCheck at EWR. It's in Terminal C, security area C-3. As usual (in my experience) with EWR, the security areas were zoos, including the Premier Access lines, but PreCheck worked like a charm.

I will say that the implementation (generally, not specific to EWR) has lots of people confused. I witnessed angry flyers who didn't understand why they didn't get three beeps, and staff who couldn't tell them what to do or not to do. It's a great idea but the TSA has rolled it out in a manner almost guaranteed to frustrate people.

8MiHi and Paolo Scuri like this.
  7. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the roll-out at various airports depend on UA or the TSA?

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA

Billiken likes this.
  9. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks. TSA says "CBP Trusted Traveler members should remember to provide the airline with their full name, date of birth, and PASS ID exactly as it appears in their CBP Trusted Traveler program online account to ensure they are properly considered for TSA PreCheck."

Does that mean full first name, middle name, and last name in those 3 fields? Or just first name & last name, since middle is marked (Optional)? Or first and middle name in the First Name field, and last name in its own field?

Thanks,
    David