United Airlines Customer Service in Domestic First Class: NO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Courcoison, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of days ago I boarded a late evening UA flight from San Francisco to San Diego.
    I was upgraded to First, my boss was not.
    I told the flight attendant I would not be drinking alcohol because I had to drive upon arrival and inquired if I could send a free drink to my boss in the back of the cabin.
    The response came swiftly: NO.
    I then asked If I could order a drink and bring it over to him; the response once again was NO.
    At that point the attendant indicated I could purchase the drink for my boss if I wanted and she left.
    Suddenly a passenger out of Economy Plus Class was standing in front of me and, to my surprise, gave me 2 "drink sheets" stating he had overheard our conversation...
    When my boss received the "drink sheets" he asked for a "Pina Colada" to be told by the attendant that if United Airlines served "Pina Colada" on such a short flight only a few economy class passengers could receive service...
    Of course we know UA does not serve Pina Colada even in First Class.

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have given my boss the F seat, if I had a boss or a first class seat.

meFIRST, DCA1K, unavaca and 2 others like this.
  3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting concept but I am afraid I do not work for free;)

thegrailer, Gtitan and Counsellor like this.
  4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not even CX serves piña colada in first :p

5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    By any chance, is your boss Rupert Holmes?

6. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    As evidence of a supposed lack of customer service in UA F, this strikes me as pretty thin.

DCA1K, Scottrick, unavaca and 2 others like this.
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with UA's policy of not allowing F passengers to send drinks back -- that's revenue protection, and you don't want people shuttling back and forth between F and Y anyway.

As for the Pina Colada....*shrugs*...all moar is created equal.

Scottrick, unavaca, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like "free beer" which United serves in first.;)

9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! What if every passenger in F starts doing it?

Misplaced Texan and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any airline that allows this? I think we can all see the slippery slope that this would lead to. IIRC there have been threads asking about whether people could "share" first class / business class seats.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    None that I'm aware of as a matter of policy. Some are more tolerant of shenanigans than others.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been occasional reports where FAs offer to bring a drink back to someone in coach when they learned that the F passenger's partner didn't get upgraded. That's an FA being nice (and perhaps actually violating policy). But basically expecting/demanding this seems inappropriate.

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at the risk of breaking the rules, couldn't you have asked for a drink, walked back to have a talk with your boss and then forgot your drink in Y?

I'm just saying... it happens.

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any wonder why the boss, who asks for a Piña Colada on a domestic shorthaul flight, is sitting in the back? :oops:

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dunno. If that was my boss I'd probably want to sit as far away as possible. I used to work for someone like that, and when we traveled together and I was upgraded and she wasn't, I certainly did not give up my seat for her.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    ♫ If you like Piña Coladas, in row 13 as your drink,
    You suffer from delusions, and need to see a new shrink ♫♫

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't get to send food and drinks back. It's part of the class of service. Just because you get it for free doesn't mean you can go about distributing it.

The one time I've seen anything similar to passing drinks back was when an FA, apologizing for the fact that I was upgraded and my fiancee was not, sent her back a cup of wine and called it "coffee" without anyone asking. (There's a bigger back story, but whatever.) If you start sending stuff back, it will annoy not just the passengers in F but also those in Y who don't have a friend in F. Now I give Megan my drink tickets.

And I've never heard of Pina Coladas on United. It's not a bar.

seaflyguy and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Or Client in my case. I try never to fly with clients, its always weird. Ditto Boss also

Amenities are not transferable between cabins, though the old CO did allow two pax to share a businessfirst seat. I'm not sure if that is still allowed

downhillcrasher and CrazyMonkey like this.
  19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it happen before, but it varies by crew and seems to be most common when couples are involved. Also seems to be common when they learn that one partner gave up the F seat for the other.

I've also had crew offer me a glass of wine from F in the bulkhead row of Y if I'm especially chatty with them.

But I would never think of asking for/demanding either of those things. Definitely not part of standard F service to bring a drink to Y pax, no matter what the relationship or how much the F pax is/is not drinking.

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I travel with my daughter, she travels in coach. If I'm upgraded, I'll generally send my desert to her. I've never had any FA object. I tell the FA that I want to give my desert to my daughter - in some cases they offer to bring it, else I carry it back.

My daughter is 12 and she doesn't need to sit in F. I'd rather have an adult who can use the space and service get the upgrade. It bugs me when there are kids in F who are old enough to sit by themselves, so I won't do it.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you actively decline the upgrade for her if she's upgraded with you?

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about that... a young person might not need the space or appreciate the service, but if I'm traveling F and not on an upgrade (important) then everyone with me is traveling F, regardless if they're old enough to appreciate it or not.

23. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always try to fond out Client's flight schedules and if we are not going to be in the same cabin, I try to avoid the flight or get them upgraded to my cabin as well. As far as bosses...years ago I upgraded mine from LAX-HKG to F and we enjoyed the Dom! :)

24. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I effectively did that last week when I got her a 25,000 Standard Y award. Expertflyer sent me an alert that Saver F opened up, so I could have rebooked her into F but I kept her in Y. (I had already upgraded myself with an RPU - else I might have been tempted to rebook her and trade seats ;))
    I simply don't feel that kids that are old enough to behave themselves in Y, need to occupy a seat in F. They shouldn't feel that they have yet earned or are entitled to F, and it is entirely fair and right that an adult is there and they are not.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on both. Bad form to travel in a higher class than the boss or the client, even if earned, and looks like brown nosing to give it to the boss. And if you upgrade the boss then you might have to sit together and neither of you wants to talk the whole time nor show that you drink...

Scottrick likes this.