United Airlines Credit Card or another for flying on United

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by francofm, Mar 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. francofm

francofm New Member

Status Points:
    I am completely new to the "miles" thing. I will be flying United a lot in the next couple of years and hope to earn enough miles through a credit card for upgrades or free trips. I've been told I can transfer miles from other cards to United but I'm wondering if they are worth the same amount of benefits as getting a United Mileage Plus Visa card. If I transfer from another card will I need more miles for free trips or upgrades? Thanks to anyone who can help me decide. I know in this day and age it must seem ridiculous that someone is so new to the idea of using miles but we do still exist....and I hope to change that!! Again, thanks.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

How much is "a lot" -- i.e., how many miles and how many trips per year are you expecting to take? Domestic or international?

Chase has the United Explorer and the United Club cards. Those earn United miles directly and also give you some travel benefits (free bag, ... ) which may be worthwhile having if you travel a lot but not enough to earn status.

Chase also has the Sapphire Preferred card, which earns "Ultimate Rewards" points that can be transferred into your United account, but have flexibility (i.e., you can also transfer them into some other hotel and airline programs). But the card doesn't give you a free bag if that is something that matters to you.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase has several United Cards, and they offer many perks depending on the fee for the Card.

Do a Google Search,

The great thing is often the first year they are without fees,

You may also move points to United from some other Chase cards, like HVM said,

To me it is quicker to gain United miles with CC's than BIS Miles...

Welcome to the board.,,nice to see you,

4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to InsideFlyer.
    The cards are a significant help when flying on United without status. A free bag and priority boarding (Boarding Group 2 makes it possible to get your carry-on into the overhead bin) to go along with extra miles can make travel more pleasant and less wearing. The Club Card is a step up with 2 bags and Club access.
    If you are talking about 25,000 miles up to 100,000 miles of flying, the card can help with status as it can (with $25k spend on the card) waive the PQD requirement up to Platinum. It is status that generally gets you upgrades, Economy Plus, entry into International clubs (at Gold and higher) as well as other perks.
    I have been well served over the years by having one of their cards. If you see years of UA travel, then it may work well for you. If this is just a temporary thing, then they will still be of benefit, but you should compare them to other cards like HaveMiles mentioned.
    Good luck and have fun.

satman40 likes this.
  5. francofm

francofm New Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Thanks to those of you that replied. I will not be flying over 100,000 miles this year and it will be international and domestic. I might look at other cards to see what transfers to United and what those miles are worth when i do transfer them. Seems like that might give me more flexibility. All so confusing. I can see I have a lot to learn.Thanks again

Counsellor and 8MiHi like this.
  6. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one more thought - Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to United (among other choices) at a one-to-one ratio so for your non-United purchases, that might be a great option for you (Sapphire Card is really great, the Ink card with 5 points per $ at office supply stores is a winner especially with the ability to buy gift cards thus getting 5pts/$ at gas stations, Whole Foods, etc).

Zomby Woof and satman40 like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    INK Give you 2X at gas stations. CSP gives you double dining, and do not forget the United Shopping...

Office Supply at 5X, Amazon, Lowe's and other GC's lot of miles, , yes you can even use the to buy groceries,,,

Why settle on 100k,

The Sky is the Limit...I do not fly 100k a year, but I get 100k miles a year...

It is a fun game...

profpeabody likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a trade off. If you fly numerous flights and check a bag, the United Cards may be better for you as the United perks gained outweigh the extra miles. The two passes to the UC, the sign-up miles, Boarding Group 2 and the free bag add up if they are used. The less generous earning of miles, the fee for the card (if applicable) and the less flexible utilization of those miles are the offset to be considered.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 and 99,999 are both under 100,000 ;). Broad range. Also, it might make a difference whether it is work travel paid for by your employer or personal travel. E.g., if you have to check a bag, your employer would presumably pay for that and having the credit card with a fee waiver wouldn't be beneficial for you personally.

Zomby Woof and 8MiHi like this.