United aiming Small?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by edcho, Mar 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://skift.com/2013/03/07/united-...orlds-largest-airline-but-size-still-matters/

Not too surprising but not too encouraging either. Looks like they will continue to try to cut capacity rather than to attract new flyers? How the heck will UA survive in the long term?

2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    By reducing capacity they can fill more seats and charge more. AA/US will do the same thing.

Makes perfect business sense for long-term survival.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it is consistent with the behavior of every other post-merger airline in recent memory. Cut capacity and rationalize routes and fleet deployment to reduce costs and increase yields. Then grow where appropriate in a strategic manner.

mht_flyer, jetsetr, ella and 2 others like this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trufax: Alaska Airlines is getting better than 10% return on invested capital (pretty good returns in the USA airline industry). They are nowhere near the largest airline in the USA.

Running a good business in your industry and not being the largest business in your industry are not mutually exclusive concepts.

mht_flyer, Flyer1976, jetsetr and 3 others like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less flights, fuller aircraft. Not great for the traveler, but it seems to be working for the company.

6. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    ARGH

7. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    and they dont pull some of the same shenanigans

8. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    driving down loyalty and continuing choice of allocation of spend in many cases..hmmmmmmmmmmmm

sobore likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's helping AA. I just threw a few hundred their way. ;)

Captain Oveur likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rather they be smaller and focus on quality than expand just for the sake of being bigger. Hyatt is my favorite hotel chain, and yet people are constantly bringing up its small size. Guess which are the biggest chains? IHG, Hilton, Accor, Marriott, Wyndham, Choice, and Best Western (in no particular order). Would you like more Hilton pesos? More useless Priority Club Platinum status? More secret Wyndham devaluations?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I also need hotels where I'm traveling to. For me personally none of the chains can provide anything remotely resembling coverage, much less at a reasonably price point. That means I cannot be loyal to them because they do not meet my actual travel needs. And, yes, such a thing exists outside the context of points, status and such.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess which of the chains hasn't been where I wanted to travel recently.

Quality is nice, but I don't want to pick my travel destinations based on the availability of Hyatt properties. Even if that means staying at a perhaps less high-quality hotel...

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, while there is a huge difference in scale between, say, Hyatt and Hilton/Marriott, I don't think this is the type of "aiming smaller" that United is looking for. They are not going to become Virgin America with posh cabins for a handful of routes.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AS's elite program has been "enhanced" in a number of ways over the years (of particular note, AS has DL-style three level award levels). You can find plenty of gripe threads on TOBB.

desamo likes this.
  15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    In other news, water is wet.

I don't doubt the points made upthread about leaner not being a bad thing. However, I don't get the feeling that was the intention when the airlines merged.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was almost certainly the intention from the United side. Historically, pre-merger United was never a particularly efficient organization.

17. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the business fundamentals of US airlines over the last 15 years. Too much capacity was added, which drove fares down and made airlines unprofitable for the most part.

The only way for the market to correct was to reduce capacity. That is accomplished in one of two ways: put your competitor out of business or merge. No one really had the balance sheet to out crazy the others so we're in a mass consolidation cycle.

We'll be in a depressed capacity era for probably 10 years and then the market will likely flip again.

This is business 101 and applies to almost every industry.

Trustguy, rggale, Hartmann and 4 others like this.
  18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the legacies, yeah. For the LCCs like AS, WN, B6 and VX, as a group, they are considerably more influential in the industry than they were 15 years ago. That's where the growth's been. And IMO that's a good thing.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    WN is far more a legacy than LCC at this point, including in the way they are dealing with capacity and growth.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Possibly, but given that trees can't grow all the way to the sky, and there's a practical limit on the kinds of markets you can profitably and realistically serve in the USA with 737s, that was somewhat inevitable. There's a point where AS, VX and B6 will bump their heads too (it looks like VX may have hit that the day they started flying).

I should also include F9, G4, and NK too.

21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smisek made this point when asked about Southwest at today's talk. He said in particular their return on capital investment (if I remembered that correctly) was more typical of a legacy than an LCC.

bmg42000 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Roughly everything about them is legacy at this point. The main differences they have are that they don't fly intercontinental and their FF program is revenue-based rather than miles-based. The latter will change with the other programs in the coming years. The former likely won't with WN but if that's the only metric you've got differentiating then, well, you're not all that different. And WN will be a regional player similar to B6 in terms of countries/destinations covered in the not-too-distant future.