United Adds Doha tag to Existing IAD-DXB flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210, meFIRST and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm...doubtful I'd ever use it, but more destinations is always a good thing in my book.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they have 5th freedom rights on the route? Could be interesting.

Also, from the announcement, they seem to be committing to IPTE on the route. I wonder if they really mean that.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXCELLENT! Now I can NRSA to DXB & DOH on the same trip in May and UA does have the 5th freedom rights on the Route, however what I want to know is if UA can sell DXB-DOH as a 7th freedom rights like KWI-BAH currently.

5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you NRSA if you no longer work for XJET?

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever heard of "Eligible Passriders" and I'm afraid that's information I'm not at liberty nor comfortable to divulge with on an internet forum between strangers...

7. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must be trying to compete with QR by putting IPTE. They would have to virtually guarantee it to get the premium traffic, still IMHO, there's no way I'd forgo QR C for UA F unless I really needed the EQM's.

Currently, lots of UA corp and gov't contracts use the QR IAD-DOH with the UA flight #'s. I'm guessing UA looked at the money they could make with a DOH tag and said why not.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually it is 5th freedom you're talking about. The aircraft starts in the USA and the stop - either in DXB or KWI - immediately preceded or followed by a stop in that home country. A 7th freedom flight would be basically be the way FR operates in Europe.

But thanks for playing.

So you're comfortable talking about it but not actually discussing it? :rolleyes:

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this portends the end of the QR relationship, or at least the end of the UA code on that flight. Seems the best way to force that government traffic on to UA metal is to actually make it the only option, IPTE or not.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're comfortable discussing your work but not who the actual clients are? :rolleyes:
    I like you have to follow an NDA, I can state I NRSA I just can't state who, what, or why.

But thanks for playing as well...

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have no idea what NDAs I am or am not covered by.

And, last I checked, I discuss work stuff in a very limited capacity in a single thread, not all over the place where it isn't relevant to the discussion at hand.

rggale likes this.
  12. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect so. New United has no need to cooperate with the Mideast parasite carriers any more than absolutely necessary.

13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and now that UA will have its own metal to DOH, the Fly America Act (49 U.S.C. § 40118) requires that any travel paid for by the government must be on a US-certificated carrier.

"The rumors of IAD's death have been greatly exaggerated..." ;)

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  14. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am quite estatic. I have familyand friends that live in DOH and DXB.
    DOH itself is up and coming, DXB is much more interesting
    However, as to mid east parasite carriers, I miss them dearly. (Specifically the EK partnership) Question is : What happens to the QR partership?

Either one of two things is about to happen
    - QR joins star alliance (yes!!!)
    or
    - QR goes the way of EK (no!!!!!)

15. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you ever flew QR, you'd be wishing UA cooperated with them a lot more and that UA would sponsor their entry into *A.

Seeing that QR is only partnered with 6 *A members and VS, I'm hoping it's the former. Al Baker (their CEO) had once mentioned joining an alliance in November 09 and only *A came up. He said it would have to be beneficial for all parties involved, which I think it would be as of now. Although EY is also not in an alliance, I think EK is really the only carrier capable of maintaining it's own route network and sooner or later QR and EY will have to join an alliance (hopefully both *A).

meFIRST likes this.
  16. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt any alliance wants EK. QR is perhaps a bit more agreeable, but methinks LH, LX, OS, SQ, TK, TG, NZ might have a problem with the entry of any of the Mideast super-carriers.

17. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mideast super carriers are the reality of the world. Come on.

MS does not cover the middle east. Anyone who thinks so needs a serious reality check

18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, if you ever flown EK you would disagree. Granted the service wasn't all that (not up to SQ standards) , but the convenience!
    EK has Africa, Europe, and Asia covered from Dubai

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the point. EK, and to a lesser extent QR and EY have been eating the European carriers' lunch on many major traffic flows for some time now. I highly doubt a carrier like LH wants to cooperate with an airline to which it has lost considerable business on lucrative routes to India and SE Asia.

20. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if UA will start doing intra-Middle East complimentary premier upgrades in 2012, similar to how they'll be doing them intra-Asia/Oceania.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, though with only the long-haul configured aircraft on those routes maybe not.

As for the chances of those carriers joining an alliance, I'd bet against. Rumor has it that LH sold BD to BA just to keep the slots at LHR with an enemy they know rather than risking them going to VS backed by funding from one of those carriers. That's a huge commentary on the competitive situation these days.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  22. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps we'll see HKG-DEL-DXB added with a 737 and GUM crews to support UA's expanding Persian Gulf shorthaul operation? Then United can resume RTW service! ;)

23. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I wouldn't. Star Alliance, like SkyTeam and oneworld, are the antithesis of the Mideast parasite carriers -- the global alliances incorporate member carriers with useful home-country O&D bases and leverage connecting opportunities to maximize schedule and pricing attractiveness to frequent travelers who have a need to go beyond the network offerings of the metal of their home-country airline. The parasites, by contrast, have comparatively small to almost nonexistent home-country traffic bases and make a mockery of the international civil aviation regime by exploiting air rights almost exclusively for sixth freedom and fifth freedom purposes (those freedoms were intended to be marginal in their usage, not the entire raison d'etre for a major global airline).

24. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh don't hate, Have you ever flown MS?. We need a non dry airline as a middle eastern star partner.

ande777emt likes this.
  25. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive the ignorance, but what does IPTE stand for? Never seen that ackronymn before...

Also, someone else mentioned "7th freedom" flights...what the heck is that? I thought "5th freedom" described any route flown between two points outside of the carrier's home country that they are allowed to sell tickets (on just that leg)...what other kind of route is there that could fall under "7th freedom"? Thanks.

gregm likes this.