UNITED ? a major new Etihad partner

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RRK, Apr 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    In today's USA Today, Etihad CEO promised:

"We've got a few good ones coming in the next few weeks," he said. "We've got three coming in the next few weeks. A couple of them will take the world by surprise. They're both major alliance members."

As of now, they have ties with One World and Sky Team. Could a STAR ALLIANCE partner like UNITED be in the works. Etihad is flying to ORD and just started IAD ... so it would make a lot of sense

Flyer1976 and autolycus like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... it looks to me like they already have some *A partners, including Air New Zealand, Turkish Airways and ANA. US Airways could also make sense, compared to United. They already partner with AA, which covers ORD traffic and US Airways has some presence at IAD. Of course, they didn't yet announce the fourth US destination. I wonder if that will be the big tip-off on one of the major partners.

It is interesting to see their partners by alliance, actually. It's a pretty even mix with some big-names in each alliance, especially oneworld (AA, airberlin) and SkyTeam (AF/KLM, Alitalia, Vietnam, Garuda Indonesia). I wouldn't be surprised by either of United or Delta, honestly. Delta has made some interesting non-SkyTeam partnerships lately.

3. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll be able to use your Etihad miles on UAL, but United will StarNet block the other way. ;)

Mike

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United doesn't StarNet block anymore though. :rolleyes:

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has no business getting in bed with Etihad.