United 787 change question.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KennyTheBull, Jan 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KennyTheBull

KennyTheBull Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a mileage run booked for this Friday on United. When I booked it (last month), I specifically wanted a few segments on the 787. United just changed the aircraft on the IAH-LAX segment from a 787 to a 767-400ER, which was expected. Now, knowing that the 787 isn't part of my trip, I would like to modify my return flight, to allow a longer stay in L.A. As it stands, I arrive at LAX at about 7:30pm Friday, and depart LAX at midnight for IAH. I would maybe like to extend my stay in L.A. about another 12 hours or so, seeing as I don't need to catch a certain 787 anymore.

My question is this... Would United consider my plight about booking that trip based on flying on the 787, and let me change my return because the 787 is grounded or will they just tell me tough luck, and I would need to pay for a change?

I just figure since I am not trying to fly specifically on the 787 now, I might as well take my time, and not rush back. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but I just thought I would try.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    did u call them and ask? do u have status?

Kalboz likes this.
  3. KennyTheBull

Status Points:
    Have not called yet, no status. Wanted to hear from my Milepoint brethren if I have any grounds to even ask for a change, and on what basis?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I really don't see the grounds for UA making the change for free.......except as a goodwill gesture. Call and see what they say.

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell them you specifically booked for the 787...I know there is still demand to fly specifically on the aircraft...ask, hopefully you get a US based agent to ask, I've found the foreign agents to be unforgiving and incompetent, but I only call UA once a month or so since I'm not an elite.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the first month of the schedule they were willing to make changes for this reason. They might still if you get a good agent.

7. KennyTheBull

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the good advice... I called United, and they were great! They let me change my outbound and return, free of charge, and now I will be adding about 1,500 miles to an already cheap mileage run. When I told them I booked the trip based on the 787, they said they have been told to issue free schedule changes for anyone booked on a 787.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out well for you and the info you provided will be helpful to others I'm sure!