United 747 Business Class - Upper vs Lower deck

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by martyfly, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. martyfly

martyfly Active Member

Status Points:
    Flying a United 747 from SFO to FRA in business and wanted to get feedback on the upper vs lower deck. Bringing the girlfriend and she's never been forward of that curtain in the front of E on a plane

SeatGuru mentions that the upper deck seats lay out a little shorter, which may be a slight issue for me at 6' 3" (could never dunk a basketball, but look really scary tall on ice skates ;-) ) but seems that it would be a lot quieter otherwise.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who has flown that route in the upper deck, trust me, you'll want the upper deck.

Quieter, sometimes more attentive service.

3. martyfly

martyfly Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Capt - that's where I was leaning towards, just that SeatGuru put a little doubt there.

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upper deck is fun. It is pretty wild the first time you ride up there. Feels like you are really far off the ground. :cool:
    Your GF is lucky. My first business experience was on the upper deck too.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upper deck FTW.

Wandering Aramean and Ygor like this.
  6. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upper deck is quieter and yes, it may get more attentive service. Just remember, if you have rollerbag, it will be stored in the closet. Have a great trip! :)

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    United's 2-4-2 biz config downstairs makes that biz cabin very crowded and not private at all.

So go for the upper deck

desamo likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big fan of the upper deck when in business.
    Thankfully, divergent views are what makes a market. Indeed, the upper deck is smaller than the lower deck. What I like about the upper deck is you get the stable ride of a big plane, but it feels like you are in a much more intimate (but not cramped, at least to me) setting. The upper cabin width is greater than a 737/320, though the ceiling is more tapered.

The FA/pax ratio is better upstairs in business than in main level business on most carriers (I don't fly UA much, but I suspect the same for them), providing for a more personal level of service. UA's main level business has 8-abreast seating, which starts to feel very crowded, imho.

Here are some recent photos of the upper deck on a 747-400. This is an Air China bird, but the size of the cabin is the same on UA (and all -400s). There is about a foot between the side of the seat and the wall, and there is a nice storage compartment in that space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ygor and FlyingFree like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown both upper and lower deck. I'm 6'2" and didn't notice the difference in seat length.

I prefer the upper deck. It almost feels like a private aircraft. Service feels more attentive - you'll generally have the same two flight attendants for the whole flight. It's quiet. Other passengers don't compete for the lavs. Personally I prefer the rear facing sats mid-cabin. Rear facing means the head is slightly elevated when sleeping. Mid-cabin means you are away from the lavs and galley.

The window seat has some storage compartments, and there are small overhead bins. The rest of the luggage, including all rollaboards goes into a closet, so organize accordingly.

You'll barely know there were 300 people downstairs until you deplane

dhammer53, Ygor, cvsara and 3 others like this.
  12. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice and quiet upstairs. But worth a walk downstairs, and through business AND to the back of the cattle car coach area, just to show you and her how nice you have it up stairs.

13. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    In 2003 I took my first ride in J in the UD on AF LAX-CDG with my grilfriend, two weeks later I took my second J flight in the UD on AF CDG-LAX with my Fiancee. We have taken many flights since but still prefer the upper deck.

Ygor likes this.
  14. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Switched mates pretty quick there, didn't you? ;)

guberif likes this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In May, I flew LAX-MEL on 744's LD, seating in 6J, with no one assigned to 7J, all the way...it was blissful! :p

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I hear UA business or first is best when it costs 4 miles per ticket...but then again...I would not know.:D

17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear that fare is as rare as a unicorn these days

18. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew ORD-FRA last year in 14K (I think). There was a guy next to me, but his AVOD was on the fritz. Resetting it didn't work, so they put him in an empty C seat downstairs. Was great not having a seatmate. Made going to the bathroom midflight much easier :)

Speaking of which, the flight deck is upstairs, so they periodically close off the upstairs bathrooms for the flight crew. At those times, you'll have to go downstairs to do yo bidness. Nice way to stretch your legs, at least.

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are 2 lavs upstairs. Do they close them both off? In any event the closure is usually pretty short, but an excuse to do a lap downstairs isn't bad

20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do close both off, there's a gate for that by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint