United 747-400 Business Class Upgrade :) Which Seats?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ClarkyBoy, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey,

Finally got upgraded on my SFO-PEK and never flying before on 744 Business Class i have a lot of options empty.

Any suggestions? upper deck? 2-4-2 i'm assuming i should go with the 2's :)

Thanks in advance!

ClarkyBoy

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like it upstairs myself

gobluetwo and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I vote for the Bubble top too

AZjohn and gobluetwo like this.
  5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the upstairs windows. Rear facing. You have all the room in the world between you and the window for stuff, and watching the wing is kinda cool.

AZjohn and gobluetwo like this.
  6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with all of the above - upstairs for sure. Also like the window b/c of you can store your stuff in the bins by the window. I prefer 15K.

AZjohn and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  7. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's nicer to be up top. Check seatguru.com, it will show you the more/ less desirable seats. Enjoy your flight!

AZjohn and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like 15K as well...upstairs is more roomier with a 2x2 configuration and you will have two dedicated FAs for the UD...downstairs would be more higher density...

Enjoy your flug!

jupper and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  9. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    15K it is! thanks a lot guys!
    Rotem

NYBanker and gobluetwo like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good move...upstairs J is always the best call...

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  11. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    15K es bueno. second choice 13A... maybe even first for me... but *definitely* upstairs.

12. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    cool. now to go plan the weekend :) so many choices to go visit...

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to contradict - but aren't some of the upstairs seats shorter? I'm 6'2", so a 4 inch difference in bed length matters. I think for shorter people the upstairs is clearly superior, but if you are tall, the downstairs may fit you better.

14. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmm, i'm 5.11 so i think i'll be ok, but thanks Seacari...hope it's still kinda comfy..

15. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I'm 6'2 also and I have never noticed the difference with the seats upstairs compared to the 767's seats. I remember Seatguru said that these were a little shorter, but I don't see that comment anymore on their site. And also, I never could figure out why UA would even think about making those seats shorter and there is a ton of room up there???
    So, I'm not sure if this rumor is true. Think we need to call the MythBusters team out on this one :)

16. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lone vote here against the upper deck. I've always found it to be warmer up there, and I'm sensitive to that sort of thing. If the heat doesn't bother you, though, by all means, go for it.

17. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upper deck row 15 windows are the ones for me for all the reasons mentioned already. Slight nod to 15K over 15A because there is a LITTLE more room between the seat and the window, just enough space that if I stand briefly on the side storage I can actually scootch out between seat and window if I don't want to crawl over my seat opponent. But it's a tight squeeze, best attempted when the cabin lights have been dimmed ;)

I have never noticed a difference in seat length in lie flat between up or downstairs. I'm 6'1.

Upstairs is a little warmer but not much IMHO, I just plan accordingly. I always tuck a comfortable t-shirt in my carry on and once aboard and getting settled I take off my usually more dressy shirt and throw on a comfy Broncos tshirt or something...I've never felt it was hot upstairs in a tshirt, and I'm usually hot. I fold my dress shirt neatly and lie it in the side compartment, and then I am free to spill, sleep, and drool on my tshirt. Then an hour or so before landing pop my dressier shirt back on for a crisp PEK/HKG/PVG/NRT or wherever arrival ;) That's the ticket.

PS- I change shirts in the lav, not at my seat...I'm not much of an exhibitionist lol :)

18. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, gang, you just talked me into changing 14A to 15K for my flight in a week and a half. Got to see what this is all about:rolleyes:

And to tag on about changing, I am the guy who when he boards he throws all his carry on in the seat and goes strait to the lav to change. And you know if it's me as I will come out in a pair of gym shaorts and a t-shirt (I promise it's not a Broncos t-shirt:p). It's all about sleeping comfortably to me and no fashion statement will be made;)
    Cheers,
    John

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is about quiet privacy, yet closeness to the stairs for easy egress. They are all good upstairs. Most of us just prefer the corners.

I'm the guy that changes into full QF jammies just after takeoff. I'll be doing SFO-SYD on the 25th.

I got pretty strange looks from my seatmate last night when I did that, but then he conveyed a different fashion statement as he slept in his business attire and on leaving the plane he looked like he'd barely survived a confrontation in a dark alley.

AZjohn and jupper like this.
  20. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lol, nicely done. Well- I did say I would spill and drool on the Broncos Tshirt, they are so terrible. :)

Yeah, exactly. I hate arriving in what I slept in. Its all about being comfortable and I can usually tell who the transpac vets are by what they wear or change into. By takeoff I've got my belt, shoes and socks off and into the side compartment and the dumb little throwaway UA socks on, Tshirt on, Bose QC15's on, sleeping aid of choice at the ready- usually an ambien unless I opt for bottomless refills of UA's red swill. Actually I used to go the swill route, now I limit it to one glass with dinner- I sleep much better/longer and wake up much better (sans quasi hangover) on ambien v. Red wine ;). Those two are not a good mix so it's one or the other for me.

Watch a movie during the meal service, finish meal, take ambien, finish movie, pull on eye shade, put in ear plugs, hit full recline button..(due to ambien I have no idea what happens in this space lol)..wake up an hour from landing in Asia.

Isn't it funny how we all have our routines? I have found this is what works best for me in terms of transpacs for jet lag and productivity once on the ground.

AZjohn likes this.
  21. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm exactly the same. After I return from the lav I unpack what needs to be unpacked and settle in. Then buckle up for take off, start my movie and off we go. When the first meal is served I take my ambien and hope to hang on for the FA to take my tray away (first movie is done by then). Then night-night, see you at landing :)

Jslo likes this.
  22. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If my wife took ambien on a plane, she'd try to fly it, spend the flight looking for the library, or stand and carry on an active conversation with a food cart. We don't let her have that stuff.

Ygor, tahewett, gobluetwo and 3 others like this.
  23. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG...LOL..My wife is exactly the same :D
    I do not share with her anymore ;)

Jslo and Flyer1976 like this.
  24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

AZjohn likes this.
  25. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's hilarious. It doesn't hit me that hard. In fact, I sometimes cut them in half...I am kinda a high energy person and my body gets tired but my brain doesn't. So even a half a dose is enough to slow my brain down enough for my body to sleep hard.