United 1K status a true story

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rblass, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rblass

rblass Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a long time CO now UA FF and have always been a platinum or since the merger 1K.
    I am also a million miler and have the old presidential plus CC which let's you accumulate flexible qualifying miles. In 2013 with the advice of the mileage desk I converted 28k miles elevating my status to platinum in 6/13. The rest of the year I flew accruing another 30K miles. I had thought that the flexible miles bumped you up only to platinum and to reach 1K I would have to add actual miles, which I did. Lo and behold I should have read myself the online version and not rely on the mileage plus desk for info. The jump from Plat to 1K using actual miles is not applicable if you used FQM'S during the year to upgrade your status. They just deduct the FQM'S from total mileage flown and said that I was only a platinum because I did not fly the total 1k miles needed. The only way to add the extra miles is to purchase them for $ online which is very costly.
    Called the dedicated desk and got a supervisor with the usual. Blah blah can't do anything don't care attitude. Called again was very polite and the rudest lady said absolutely not and actually hung up on me. Persisted and called a third time and got a wonderful lady who convinced the powers to be to reinstate my 1k status. Moral of the story...persistence pays off , lesson learned time to diversify from UA.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats. :)

Newscience and Sammich like this.
  3. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for you it ended well, and it proves once again that calling back (again and again, ...) can make a big difference.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats, but in truth, condolences on being 1k. I can't think of a worse punishment than having to fly UA everywhere.

flyforawg, MSYgirl and mre5765 like this.
  5. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing better to do than to troll sites & post comments about a company you obviously have contempt for? Sad.

:rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Internet.

Sent from a reasonably priced car.

7. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm no troll - a check of my post history should prove that - but your meta point is correct. I probably should have not posted my little "what's worse than making Mileage Plus Silver? Making Mileage Plus 1k!" joke in a thread where the OP did a really good job.

Of course, I write this having just flown last night UA822 from IAD to SEA where, let's see...

- the 752 was such a piece of junk that they brought blanket after blanket to the poor soul in 21A because the exit window had a slow leak and was covered (on the inside) with ice. Guy was freezing.

- the plane had arrived from DEN a full 80 minutes before our scheduled take off. We still took off 10-15 minutes late because they said they were still in the midst of refueling. Great job, ops!

- they let a man who had no business buying less than two seats sit in 20B, so that 20A and 20C couldn't actually sit straight in the seats because his arms were fully in their space. They has to lean to the side for 6+ hours.

The last point was my own personal hell and is just unfortunate. But the first two are typical UA in my experience :(

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to derail this thread but what does your experience have to do with the MileagePlus Program? :rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing I guess :) I was apparently letting out frustration from my most recent UA experience :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you either 20A or C? Did you raise it with the GA/FAs?

Being in that situation on a completely full flight (aren't all these days?) is one of my nightmare scenarios, and I hope that if and when it happens, I have the flexibility to deal with not taking the flight if/when UA GAs refuse to do something about it.

11. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was 20C yes. I did not raise the issue with FAs because I didn't want to embarrass 20B. I just mentally dealt with it. My back wasn't very happy with me afterwards (leaning to the right for 6+ hours is no good).

12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the obvious question,to me anyway, is why do you still fly UA? If it is that bad pick a different airline. Not that hard.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

bmg42000, LETTERBOY and Steve GadFly like this.
  13. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because Im based at IAD and they are the only airline who fly direct to SEA ,which I fly to nearly every week. Alaska flies to DCA, but their return flight leaves SEA at 9 in the morning, which doesn't work for me. (I take strictly redeyes home)

I just flew tonight via Jet Blue via JFK. I've tried AA and Virgin American. Nothing beats UA direct :(