United 1K short by 170 miles

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jcn, Nov 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jcn

jcn Member

Status Points:
    After a trip next week (SEA-NRT-SIN and back to SEA) I'll be short 170 miles for United 1K with no other travel planned for the year. United agent on the phone assured me that United would do nothing to help. (Last year, missed 1K by 1 day flying home SYD-SEA on Jan 1 and they wouldn't help, either!) So I'm looking for a good option for a measly 170 miles.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEA to PDX will net around 258 if United flies that route.

3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um, your best option may be to buy a short itinerary, purchase the "premier accelerator" product on top of it at something like 5–15 cents per mile, and then after the PQM post (should be instant), cancel that trip within 24 hrs of purchase. I have never done this but it's what is popularly recommended in these circumstances.

4. wto605

wto605 Member

Status Points:
    Premier accelerator is great if you don't have the time, but I've never seen it be cheaper than ~9.8 cents per PQM... and if all you have scheduled are longer trips that's a no-go.

How many other trips do you have scheduled? You can try taking advantage of free same day changes as you get credit for the routing you change too... when I thought this year was going to be close I used to carry a card with the +/- of different possible routings. Also don't forget the 500 mile minimum, set a price alert for one-way SEA-PDX and bribe someone to pick you up.

If you aren't familiar with SDC let me know and I can give you a rundown of the ins and outs... I will just point out the oft-overlooked fact that a SDC can really screw with your upgrades (instrument or CPU) since even if there is available PN/R space people have ended up on the battlefield upgrade list because of a SDC.

jcn likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOP for UA these days - give us your money and we'll "do nothing to help"

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, you may not know it, but the true threshold for 1K is 100,170 PQM, but they generously help folks who reach at least 100,000 ...

LarryInNYC and Counsellor like this.
  7. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are a card holder of the grandfathered Chase MileagePlus Select Visa, you might want to purchase an UA ticket at $170 or above.
    The first $5K spent on united.com counts toward PQMs

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. jcn

jcn Member

Status Points:
    First time posting on here. Thanks for all the replies!

I would be interested in how the SDC thing works as I could possibly finesse something on the way home.

Didn't realize 1K was actually 100,170!

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best option, by far, is going to be what mherdeg suggested. Book a SEA-PDX flight, buy premier accelerator for your $25-$50, then cancel the flight once they post (but within 24 hours).

dstober likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't; that was a joke.

And the standard party line of "make it or you don't get it" has been around for a long, long time. They will always say that now. Someone at some future point may choose to make an exception but that happens after the fact, not in advance. And that's been pretty consistent in both programs for many years, well prior to the merger.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As Seth said, it was a joke. Sorry.

Here's my line of thinking: they have to draw a line somewhere. If they drew it at 99,830 PQM, you'd be happy, and another guy who just needed an extra 171 PQM would be mad because "it's just lousy extra mile and look at my loyalty...". I mean, come on, if I am short by 500 PQM, that's only missing the target by 0.5 percent.

What do you think is the proper line to draw? I think it's 100k PQM. And a near miss is still a miss.

I am okay with UA reviewing individual accounts that narrowly miss the threshold and making exceptions based on their subjective valuation of the customer, but there should be no expectation that anything below 100k PQM is enough. But in the age of the internet, when they do that, the lucky near-miss account holder will show up on FT and report it, and others will have the same expectation...

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a short trip reserved in 2014 you should be able to use the accelerator for this year. While it is unlikely they will sell you less than thousands more than you need, it is my understanding that buying the accelerator miles now count for 2013

dstober and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    big +1 !

Save an appeal at being short for a time it really matters, when something earthshattering at year's end on your (or UA's behalf) prevents you from achieving 100k, being a measly 170 short this far in advance of year's end is not the time to make such an appeal IMO.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heck, even use miles for a one-way positioning flight and pay for the segment home. :)

15. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    SEA-POR, Dec. 3 for example, 118 for 258 miles and 1K...;)

8MiHi likes this.
  16. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    POR would take him to Finland. :D

8MiHi and clscholes like this.
  17. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that would get him to 1K, but not for 118 dollars...how about SEA-PDX...;)

MSYgirl likes this.
  18. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could buy a refundable flight (this gets around the 24 hour cancellation policy for nonrefundables) and cancel once the accelerator miles clear. I have done this and it worked fine.

guberif likes this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fly to LAS or SFO or SEA or etc, see a show, come home a 1K. Maybe you can find a way to use your SDC rights to extend your flights this week by >170 miles.

20. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    takes a while to post, I wouldn't trust it for this year at this point.

-David

21. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

where are you located? If you're in Seattle, then you can just fly somewhere. If not, then it's harder. You'd have to do one of the other tricks people have suggested.

-David

22. jcn

jcn Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the input on this! My wife saw the post about a quick turn to SFO or LAS, so it seems my fate may be sealed...!

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't have to be quick. Turn it into a weekend trip.

jcn likes this.
  24. rmokabe

rmokabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Get what you all are saying here and clearly I am not in the same league mileage wise but still think UA is being short sighted. Have you ever gone to a restaurant and received a free appetizer, dessert, or drinks? You become pretty loyal pretty fast.

They could own this member forever for a few pennies. The goodwill he could spread among colleagues, friends, and family is worth more from a revenue perspective than the cost of 170 miles.

I switched from AA (million miler) to UA once AA went Chapter 11 as a hedge (I know my miles are safe but am worried about cutbacks in destinations from my base).
    I have 49,837 PQMs for 2013 and no upcoming flights. Thought I would ask UA MP Service Center to see if there was any way to get around a mileage run to get to Gold. Got the same answer- we want you to earn it! For 163 miles?

UA had a chance to flip me but now if merged AA-US leaves my base intact I am back to them in a heartbeat.

MSYgirl likes this.
  25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, maybe not. After all, you've already demonstrated that you're fickle with your loyalty and repeated expectations that the published rules shouldn't apply to you. ;)

I'd say that this is equally short-sighted.

Good luck.

jetsetr, brfong, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.