UNITED 1K priority inflight meal choices

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RRK, Dec 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    TRUE or FALSE ?

Rumors have it, that an e-mail went out most recently to all UA flight attendants informing them to observe the OLD UNITED rule. Meal orders should be taken by PREMIER status, GS and 1 K
    will have the highest priority, before anybody else, including full fare customers.

I took 2 trips within 72 hours. Trip 1: the fight attendant went by her inflight manifest and actually thanked me for being a 1K and asked me for my preferred meal. Trip 2: the flight attendant went
    from the front cabin to the back. She did not use the inflight manifest and did not greet each passenger by name. When she got to my seat there was no longer a choice of meals available, but the ever flavorful lovely chipotle beef wrap.

Perhaps the flight attendant on trip 2 is not checking her e-mails that frequently, or just decided to do it her way.

Also on the OLD United inflight manifest flight attendants were able to determine each passengers Premier status by a star system. GS had 4 stars ****, 1K had 3 stars ***, Gold 2 stars **, and Silver had 1 star *.

Does anybody know what the new manifest looks like ? Especially since a Platinum level was
    added ? How are the new Premier levels listed on the flight attendant manifest ?

2. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    funny that you bring this up....I am a 1k traveler and, as probably most frequent travelers, have my "favorite" seat. Usually the last row of First Class on the aisle (so I dont bother anyone when I recline back), but in the past year or so that seat has afforded me the last meal available in First. I was wondering when they switched to doing it front to back instead of by premier status....flying tomorrow morning (long haul with meal service) and am curious to see how they handle it. Not sure I am willing to give up "my" seat for a meal though. :)

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two sUA on 757 flights last weekend, and both definitely did the old UA prioritization.

4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew 4 flights since last weekend and the FA's didn't start with GS's or 1Ks and simply went from front to back.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But did they ask for first choice? The order in which they take orders doesn't matter. One of my FAs jumped around in the cabin asking all the GS/1Ks first. The other went from front to back but asked "what's your first choice" and suggested that she'd try to do her best to accommodate it, but couldn't promise anything (it was a flight to Texas and they served beef and pasta... guess what almost everyone wanted).

6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they offered up both choices. All flights were lunch flights and I was in row 2 or 3 each time.

7. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the current policy is front-to-back. The new final reports are the old final reports that sCO had. Status is indicted beside your name.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    First is 99% 1K now any way so probably doesn't matter much...

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always seem to prefer the most hated meals on the plane. Let everyone else each cereal and salad!

8MiHi and Ygor like this.
  11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat true but those who paid for it actually get lower priority for food choice. Supposedly the new rules are 1K/GS first.

-Rob

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the new policy is that they are supposed to ask everyone for their first and second choice (if more than 2 choices) and they are supposed to first give GS their choice, then 1K, then other paid pax. But not make it obvious by jumping around taking orders, rather figure it out in the galley.

FA on my recent 52-C seat 744 flight told me that they only boarded 5 salmon entrees for 52 pax and she didn't have enough for even all the GS members.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if they allowed pre-selection of meals ahead of time. Anyone know how far ahead they know what meals are planned for a particular flight? I assume it's not decided day-off the flight by the Sky Chef that Salmon looks particularly good today and so that's going to be one of the options.

HiIslands likes this.
  14. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO used to post the menus for flights online. They rotate monthly and seemed to cycle through every 4 months or so.

Regarding the OP's question of what the manifest says, it indicates every passenger's status in the forward cabins and 1Ks or greater in economy. It's been hit or miss regarding meal order taking. On two ps flights this week, which reliably would always ask for your 1st and 2nd choice and then reconcile in the galley based on status, this week they just went front to back out the outbound and bounced by status on the return.

Just like getting sUA FAs to offer PDBs, if there's a standards change it will take time to work through the system. Old habits die hard.

IDGflygirl, bk3day, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Given that they have printed menus for C/F on international flights... does a given route, say, SFO-FRA, have the same meal choices every day for a certain period before it gets changed?

What do they use the indicator on the economy part for? I have been welcomed as a *G in coach on a LH flight (the purser seemed genuinely concerned to see me stuck in a middle seat of the A340 on the way to India). And on UA I once got upgraded from 17A on a 777 to C about one hour into the flight when the person behind me kept complaining that her personal screen didn't work (so she got my seat). I don't know if they picked me by looking up status pax on the manifest, but if they did, that was a good use of that information IMO.

16. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had my meal request taken after what appeared to be a GS but before the rest of the cabin last Fri [going to the FTU]. On the return sitting in steerage, most of the decent food was gone b/f the cart made it to the exit row where 2 1Ks and a Plt/million miler were sitting.

Flying F to HNL tomorrow and will try to remember to report about the procedure on that flight

Cheers

17. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm always surprised by the passion exhibited over meal choices. It is a textbook YMMV.

8MiHi, IDGflygirl, mbluecpa and 2 others like this.
  18. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just flew a CO 753, they came through did a few peoples orders first, they then went through the cabin from 1a I was there at only plat so, maybe they prioritozed later. The guy next to me was paid/award ticket as he didn't clear the upgrade list

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually for a calendar month, plus or minus a couple days.

8MiHi likes this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a full meal on IAH-ORD, they did it by status. I was the last person to get a choice.

21. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big fail on SFO iah this morning, did standard front to back ordering leaving all of us in row 5 with no choice... Total only everyone but me declined. While 2 others did buy on board and did pay for the items.
    I was going to ask but I was only plat and 3rd on list last night so I prob would have missed my choice anyways, although the guy next to me was 1K and paid the $7 to buy a hot sandwich. Only saw that on deplaning otherwise would gave said something.

22. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same situation over the past few week. First flight they offered Global Services first, and on the return flight went front to back. When they got to my seat the last row in First Class the FA stated she only had salads left. I made the comment that I thought you were suppose to go in order of status to see what she said. Her eyes got large and she said she would be back. They found the other option for me. I come to find out she was trying to save that last dish for herself when I overheard her talking with counterpart.

23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty outrageous

Golden Toque and 8MiHi like this.
  24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think any system that puts full fare paying customers at the tail end of the list is fundamentally flawed. While I see the point that there is an attempt here to provide those who pay the most overall (GS and 1Ks) a better experience, those who are paying a premium price for this experience deserve better and are usually smart enough to pick up on being pushed aside. This could be enough to cause them to seek another airline for their next full-fare trip.
    The real problem appears to be a poor attempt at expense control. Full fare, GS and 1K passengers should get a full array of choices as often as possible. The rest of us are just happy to be there.

25. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not against paid F > upgrade GS > upgrade 1K > ...

But do TODs (or cash upgrade at booking) get treated as paid F in this scheme and/or is there anyway for the FA to know the difference?

8MiHi likes this.