Unique Local Restaurants to die for!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please recommend places off the beaten path... mom and pop type shops that are worth a visit during your travels.

For me, there are a many places in Northern New Jersey worth a visit on your NYC trip. For example:

Cubby's BBQ in Hackensack, NJ - excellent ribs, fantastic burgers that they nearly kill a cow for to make you happy.

White Mana, Hackensack, NJ or White Manna, Jersey City, NJ - both the original little burger joints predecessors to White Castle franchise, to satisfy your late nite munchies

Casual Habana, Hackensack, NJ - the best Cuban joint in Bergen County, excellent cuban sandwiches and other caribean dishes.

Pancho's Burritos, River Edge, NJ - an awesome Mexican place with some really delicious Tex-Mex food.

Seafood Gourmet, Maywood, NJ - my favorite seafood restaurant and take out place, the best new england clam chowdah anywhere, period!

Kumo, Ridgewood, NJ - an excellent sushi joint with great food and reasonable prices, especially on weekends.

more.... when I think of them. Please share yours!

piqaro likes this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Little Piggy Had Roast Beef, NYC - Great late night Roast Beef or Pastrami with Mozarella or Cheez Wiz
    First Ave between 9th Street and St. Mark . Open until 4 AM

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES! I have tried and liked this place very much... Since it doesn't have a place to sit down and eat, besides a very small bench near the counter... my friends and I took the food to the park a few blocks east of the eatery.

also... in the same neighborhood

Veselka, NYC - a traditional Ukrainian diner serving fairly good Uki cuisine... open 24 hours!

mundosurfer likes this.
  4. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend was raving about this place. She said it is really good and always buzzing late night>

5. WonderBret
    Original Member

WonderBret Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend Our House in Wartrace, Tennessee.

It truly is a house — seemingly in the middle of nowhere — that has several tables covered with tablecloths in a few different rooms. The food and service are outstanding — at least, they were the last time I was there several years ago when I was taken there by someone who lives there locally.

I have been there several times and have never been disappointed. It is probably the best-kept secret in Tennessee...

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can count on 2 hands the number of times my travel friends and I have enjoyed a meal here.

If you're ever in Brooklyn, or happen to be a participant on BRT 11, L&B Spumoni Gardens http://www.spumonigardens.com/home.html

SC Flier likes this.
  9. entropy

entropy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Salon in Tel Aviv..

Open 2 nights a week, the insane chef spends the rest of the week hunting for the best ingredients from all over the country. Dinner is a celebration of food and life, the night generally progresses with people dancing on the tables and lots of fire. ($$$$$)

[​IMG]

kwai, James Dombrowski and mht_flyer like this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Franklin Barbecue in Austin, Texas is not to be missed if you're a barbecue fan and in the Austin area. Sure, there are a plethora of outstanding barbecue joints in Central Texas, but Franklin is really outstanding, and a cut above many of the others. My partner and I hit them up while in Texas after Thanksgiving last year and each ordered a two meat combination plate, allowing us to sample their brisket, pulled pork, sausage, and ribs. All were fabulous, and the brisket was absolutely some of the best I've ever tasted. Their sides are also all homemade and quite good as well. However, the entire meal gets even better when you start sampling their variety of homemade sauces, including an espresso barbecue sauce that is absolutely unlike anything I've had elsewhere. The stuff is divine, and my partner threatened to drink it straight from the bottle.

They're currently operating out of a trailer in downtown Austin, with plenty of picnic tables to sit at and enjoy your food. However, they're only open until the food runs out, and the lines form early, so you want to get there at least 30 minutes before they open to get in line. Trust me, it's worth the wait. Don't plan on going in the evening for dinner, as they aren't open, and don't plan on going very late in the lunch hour, or you'll possibly find they've already run out of food.

11. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lenny's Indian Head Inn in Branford, CT will knock your socks of with some of the most amazing seafood you'll ever eat. It's a real New England classic. Do go out of your way to dine at this place. I recommend the lobster and steamers dinner. The calamari they serve is the benchmark for great fried calamari.

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dim Sum at City Hall, Hong Kong - you will see lots of westerners there, but the food is still very authentic and good according to locals;

Travelrus likes this.
  13. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with City Hall Dim Sum, but there are a hundred other "to die for"
    restaurants in Hong Kong!

Pegasus likes this.
  14. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it Maxim's? - we waited for over an hour to get a table.

In San Francisco -Hong Kong lounge is excellent for dim sum, but long line.

Sneaky's for BBQ, especially the korbuta pork

KIXman and Fiji like this.
  15. spinner
    Original Member

spinner Active Member

Status Points:
    I was in Savannah, GA for a few days last year on a shoot. The highlight of the trip there was my meal at Elizabeth on 37th. Not cheap, but truly a wonderful dining experience. Easily my best meal in Savannah.

Bonnie likes this.
  16. Rino's Place in East Boston, MA for phenomenal Italian

Piggy Park in Thomaston, GA - although a BBQ joint, try the Cheeseburger Delux, the Slawdogs and the Brunswick Stew

Seastar in Bellevue, WA - all about fresh seafood and sushi

Surin West in Birmingham, AL - sushi !

17. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Relish in West Palm Beach, FL - amazing burger joint with a lot of "unique" burger options where you pick a patty and then pick the "relish" to go on top (I like the shrimp burger with mango habanero salsa and want to try to the lobster burger or lamb burger on my next visit). But the shakes are what will keep me dreaming of this place. I had a salted caramel one that was actually topped with a piece of salted caramel. Flavors like cherry truffle are made with actual ground up truffles. Red velvet cake is apparently a popular one. I've never had a shake anything like the one I had here!

18. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Maxim's, but it's usually referred to as just City Hall,
    as that's where it is (low block).

19. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree - after I left HK, food (not the people I met there) is what I missed the most...sigh...

20. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - the City Hall Dim Sum place is part of Maxim's Group - however, on the ground level, there's a Maxim's fast food and on the first floor (from the ground), there's a Maxim's "old style" restaurant - where baked pork chop rice etc (western influenced Cantonese food) is served.

21. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pegasus do you prefer Hong Kong lounge over Ton Kiang?

flacey8 likes this.
  22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Albuquerque - Cecilia's
    Santa Fe - Zia and Burts Burger Bar

and if you want really off the beaten path
    Lakeside, AZ - Mountain Thai

23. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    The el Farolito super burrito in San Francisco always fills me up. I only have one a year for fear of having a heart attack. And for some reason I always get there when there's a lineup.

though I suppose this place might qualify more for a Diners, Drive-ins & Dives recommendation.

24. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fiji - do you prefer HK Lounge/Ton Kiang/ Koi Palace/Asian Pearl (in the Peninsula)?

Fiji likes this.