Unintended, but replicable, way to get miles/points/CB

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by schnitzel, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was a bit of a sneaky way to earn miles/points/cashback, and a very unintended one.

I booked a hotel room about a year in advance. It's a hard hotel reservation to get, so I just waited until the day it opened up, and took it. I paid in full, as required.

The cancellation policy allows for cancellations up to 30 days in advance. We scheduled another trip that took the place of this one, so I had to cancel. This was about nine months later.

But the original deposit was paid for with my 2% CB Schwab card that B of A brilliantly changed around so broadly that there was no trace of the old card (or its history) and I then fully closed the new account. So I was a bit concerned that I'd have a problem with the hotel deposit refund.

Well, they had a solution. Fax them a sheet with my info and with another credit card for the refund.

Now, I was worried about losing points in some other program until I thought of my debit card.

Perfect! The money went right into my checking account. And I got the 2% long ago.

Not that I'd try this whole scenario on purpose, and I only netted about $15, and in a world with actual interest (not today's world, obviously) the time value of money would outweigh the earnings, but I certainly won't be shy about laying out cash for hotel reservations either.

FrequentMiler and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. msp2anywhere
    Original Member

msp2anywhere Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.... so you're floating the principal for a year, but other than that sounds harmless. Nice arrow to keep in the quiver...

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    At current rates, I guess I got about what I lost.

But, if you were doing this a) intentionally and b) to meet a minimum spend, you'd potentially really make it worthwhile, assuming you had no other way to reach the minimum spend.