Unilateral cancellation

Discussion in 'Accor | Le Club Accorhotels' started by deant, Feb 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Back a about a month or so ago, I made an online reservation at the Sochi Mercure Rosa Khutor. Received an online confirmation of the reservation (even though it was during the Olympics). A couple of days later I received a unilateral cancellation of the room with NO explanation. After responding that I did not want to cancel the reservation they just told me that there was a "technical" glitch with their web site and no rooms were available. I later found out that, when they accepted my reservation, Accor knew that their web site had an issue but instead of taking the booking system down to fix the problem, they just continued to accept reservations knowing that they would just send out cancellation notices.

After filing a complaint with Accor, I received a call today. Basically they said they were sorry for the mistake and hope that I would continue to stay at Accor. I love it when a company accepts a reservation knowing that they will not honor it and expects the customer to be happy when they pull the rug out from under you. Asked the representative if she would be happy with an apology as a resolution, she said "of course not". So why did they expect me to be happy??????

I had made the reservation at the hotel because I had late tickets to an event at the mountain cluster and did not want to take an hour train ride and then walk a couple of miles to my hotel at midnight (I did not think that walking in the middle of the night in Adler was the safest thing to do). The reason for the need to walk is that there are NO taxis in Adler in the middle of the night.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry to hear, is this what you ended up doing?

Also, will you stay at Accor again?

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I have heard many similar stories with all sorts of hotels in Sochi. Happened to me as well a year or so ago with our reservations in Sochi.

traveltoomuch and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would take your complaint higher up. I think they owe you more than an apology.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who owns that Accor? Is it corporate owned or a private hotel that joined the chain? (I know that in the case with IHG there are two types, not sure with the Accor).

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading about fumbles like this leaves me thinking warmly of Hyatt - I'm remembering how they've gone out of their way to honor their own mistakes (e.g. diamond status for having a credit card, etc.). I'm not sure how much of that is based on control - they own more of their own hotels - and how much is cultural, but I do appreciate it.

It's particularly disappointing that Accor took a month to get back to you, especially since it's now too late to remediate this in the obvious way. I think I concur with markwint55 re: escalating, but I might focus on the slow response to your complaint. The unilateral cancellation itself seems ordinary enough - they did not handle it like I'd expect from Hyatt, but it's not a terrible error on its own, and they did do it promptly. Not responding to the complaint for a month, thus interfering with their ability to fix things, seems like a bigger deal.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ended up walking to the ship in the middle of the night. No other option. And NO I will never stay at Accor again.

When the person called, I asked to talk to a supervisor and she just repeated the same line. She said my complaint had been escalated but there is nothing they could (read would) do. Bottom line is that they do not care about customer service.

Sweet Willie and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend that is in Sochi right now and is on a cruise ship at night because their hotels were never finished being built.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many hotels were not completed on time. We were in Moscow at the Hyatt before going to Sochi and the GM said that their hotel was not finished. Many people who had confirmed, prepaid reservations on the ships were relocated to an unknown hotel at the last minute because the Olympic Committee wanted the space for some of their people. The sad part was that some of these people, including one Ludus group, were not given any advance notification of the relocation. They basically got the word after they landed in Sochi or when they tried to check in that they had been relocated.