Unified Same Day Standby. Keep the CO model, please.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got off the phone with United (proper) and I forgot how restrictive the same day standby policy is. (3 hours? - Really....) Please, please keep the 24-hour CO style same day standby.

Word is the final word on this is coming in January.

I for one love the 24 hours same day standby. A lot more flexibility, especially if you buy expensive fares. [ though I can understand the cheapskate flyer talkers may not like this so much]

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that the CO policy is more flexible and generally better it is worth noting that the UA policy isn't really only within 3 hours of the original flight time as your post implies. One can confirm to any flight on the same calendar day within three hours of the new flight time. I was on a noon flight and easily changed to a 7am option at 4am the other day.

Well, the change was easy; being awake at 4am not so much.

gobluetwo, tahewett and Scottrick like this.
  3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I notice we're muddling standby and same-day confirmed changes here, which, fair enough.

I agree that the CO system for SDC is generally awesome. One of the few advantages of the UA system is that if the flight has H availability or is undersold (criteria vary per agent), you can confirm a change onto it, at which point you are immediately eligible to list for an upgrade.

Compare with CO, where you can only confirm a change onto a flight which has your original fare class available. Sometimes it can be really hard to SDC a CO S fare! Now, CO often opens up all the fare buckets about 3.5 hours before departure, but they don't always do that -- you may be stuck flying standby, which means no shot at an upgrade.

In practice you generally have more SDC options with CO, and on balance I buy CO fares instead of UA fares when I expect to need to SDC, but there have been cases where a UA fare would have been a better choice.

Just so you know what's out there in legacy-carrier world: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold elites (50,000 miles flown) can confirm a same-day change onto any alternate flight which has seats open starting at 12:01 a.m. on the day of scheduled departure, for any flight on that day, with routing changes available at the airport but generally not available by phone. Also, when an MVP Gold elite makes a same-day change, if there is even one first-class seat available on the flight, they will be automatically confirmed into first class.

4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was what the 1K desk told me. The time frames are so confusing. I don't fully understand the CO model though. But I know its dependent on my fare class. The more expensive the ticket, the better. In some cases, I've used this to leave a day early or later. Trying doing that on UA

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    With CO if there is availability you can SDC to the day before or the day after (+/- 24 hours from request) but availability can be limited because it has to be in the same fare class as the ticket and it may not be open. AS used to offer the same change flexibility, but they cut it out about a year ago, now strictly same day and only changeable after midnight of the timezone you are departing - which is pretty annoying if you want to swtich to an early morning flight.
    Requiring the same fare class to be open can make the CO SDC dicey, and often the cheaper fare classes only open a few hours before the flight, so it can end up effectively similar to UA unless flights are only lightly booked.
    MVP Gold only takes 40,000 AS miles to qualify (or 50,000 if you count partner flights like DL or AA).
    The SDC is pretty good, maybe on par with CO's - seems like AS may open up any seat, not just by fare class, but AS requires you to wait until after midnight.

I haven't been able to understood the algorithm that lets you confirm into F for SDC. Do you have to have a confirmed upgrade on another flight, or does any MVPG doing SDC have an immediate crack at an open F seat? I know when I've SDC'd after having a confirmed upgrade, I've gotten available F seats. I also know that when my UG hasn't cleared but there are seats for sale, I never seem to get it - so maybe others are SDC'ing into those seats? Sounds like there may be a new technique to learn. (Apologies for discussing this in the UA forum, but maybe it won't be quite as broadly known...)