Unexpected meetings

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ctporter, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you ever run into someone you work with, or know, or is related to you at an airport? I sure have.
    I saw my name on an upgrade list for a DL flight out of SLC to SEA - on the cleared AND at 20 something of even more. Then I heard my name being called, I turned around and it was my brother in law. Turns out he was the one that cleared the upgrade, I was the one back in coach, he made sure I knew it was him not me that got cleared LOL. (We share the same first and last name).

Another time I was deplaning at EWR when I saw my boss waiting in line to board back to SEA, I normally only see him at meetings where we both are speakers, even less now that he moved to KY.

Last night I was connecting again in SLC on a DL flight when I heard my name, it was another co-worker flying back home from another office visit. Nice guy beside me traded his seat so we got a chance to work together on the flight home. Made for a very nice flight :)

jmrich1432 and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, I've run into a number of people I know in airports and on planes. What is stranger is running into someone in a different country than the one where you know them; it's very "out of context" and can cause a bit of a momentary brain spin.

jmrich1432, Counsellor and ctporter like this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in a small town (village) in central Queensland and in the business class lounge in Hong Kong a few years ago, I met an elderly English couple that when visiting Australia to see relatives took a road trip and came into my post office a few years before. They remembered me and the post card that they had bought when they came in :)

wingspan, ctporter and Gargoyle like this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not often I must say. IIRC, only happened two times, and both times during boarding where they walk passed my seat. And both times were someone I knew from college.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see people I know pretty regularly.

Once I knew 12 out of 70 people in j on a BA 747 (there wasn't a conference or anything ... Just a lot of independent travel).

ctporter, jmrich1432 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had it happen several times. Obviously, it's much more likely to happen if you're getting on the segment back home. The most fun was getting on a plane and seeing my brother unexpectedly. We were able to trade some seats and sit next to each other. Nice trip.

savydog, Gargoyle and ctporter like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    One time about six years ago I was connecting in Nairobi headed for Harare when coming out of the lounge I ran into a former boss I hadn't seen in years -- he was coming back from Kigali headed for Washington.

savydog, Gargoyle and ctporter like this.
  8. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was entering a restaurant In St. Thomas and someone started calling my name, and I wondered who knew me in St. Thomas. It was a female who worked at a prior company I worked at. One time I called a person who lives in New York his wife tells me he is out of town, I walk into a cafe he is sitting there, We are in Moscow. I had two ladies who worked in my office came to say hi in LHR. We were both headed home to IAD for Christmas.

ctporter, Counsellor and savydog like this.
  9. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've run into people I know in airports or on planes home several times. The funniest one had to be an encounter I had in JNB one afternoon waiting for a flight to VFA. I saw a younger couple (that I didn't know at the time) with a University of Florida hat and said "Go Gators!" as I always do. We got to talking and it turned out he was one of my cousin's best friends. They were also going to VFA and I've become good friends with them since. Small world!

10. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often run into people while in transit in SYD (and I guess Australia the world is quite small really, so it is to be expected). A while ago I was on my way to ADL when I ran into my best friend's housemate on her way to CBR. I'd never actually met her before but we immediately recognised each other from facebook photos and the like. We hugged and chatted like we were old pals. It was a very exciting way to meet someone!

ctporter, jmrich1432 and savydog like this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most everytime I go into the Air Canada lounge at home airport, I encounter someone I know.

ctporter likes this.
  12. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to run into people I know at ORD. :)

13. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite frequently, actually: if you tend to fly the same routes over and over,
    the chances of meeting someone you now are really fairly high (I'd say at
    least 5%, or for me 5 to 8 times a year).