Unavailable upgrades on EK flights

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by digs, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi. Some help if possible...?
    If Emirates lists a particular flight as having no upgradeable seats left on a given flight, what chance is there that some will come up/be made available closer to the day of the flight?
    Many thanks.

2. By this I mean are any or all of the unsold Business seats re-allocated (at a later date) to enable Skywards members with the requisite miles to upgrade from economy if they wish?

Cheers.

3. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. As far as I'm aware, at T-24, Inventory Management hands the flight over to the airport. At this point, any person with the miles can upgrade to a higher cabin if there are seats available. The system may hold one to two seats back for last minute purchase. I've never had an issue upgrading at the airport ex LHR, SIN or MEL.

4. Thanks for the reply eightblack. I'm flying out of Melbourne this week and want to upgrade to J but nothing is showing on ExpertFlyer as available on my flight - yet. Other, earlier, flights are showing availability (limited as many are quite full) so i'm hoping mine might change over the next few days... Or, i'm considering changing my flight to an earlier upgradeable one. It's good to hear that you can upgrade at the airport - can I, do you think, being only a new member, but with enough miles?

5. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're trying to upgrade the direct MEL-DXB flight, then that might be tough as the J loads are always high. But if you can find a seat on an earlier flight, that's what I would do. Status doesn't really impact the ability to upgrade - from my experience, first come first served.

6. Yes, that direct flight is the one i'm on. I'm loathe to change to the red-eye 2:35 flight, but may do as there seems to be some availability (in all classes) a couple of days prior to mine. The 1800 flight is also an option I suppose but is also heavily booked it seems. I guess i'll look for flights on ExpertFlyer that have availability in both classes (because the first thing i'll need to ensure, I suppose, is that I can find a seat in the kind of economy class my ticket was issued in so the change will be allowable) then, as you suggest, just be the first comer at check-in!