Unannounced changes to spg benefits BEFORE the programs merge! - Whoops not correct

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Oct 5, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many hotels in se Asia offer spg members a discount when dining in the hotel restaurants. I am currently staying at one that does - but I was informed that this benefit is stopping on Oct. 6 "due to the merger".
    The person who told me didn't know if it was company policy or a local hotel decision. So the programs appear NOT to be the same until the announced change in 2018 :(

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds possibly like an individual hotel marketing rather than anything to do with the spg program. Possibly due to increased numbers of elites? Or could be a change in the spg cravings program.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, after consultation with the gm I was told that this is not correct (actually a decrease in staff members benefits which may have been misunderstood by the person who told me this) AND that Marriott would be changing to the spg suite ug policy - BUT at this point I would consider all this unverified until we get an official announcement!
    I certainly hope that we will keep our ug to suite options, but only time will tell.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course.

But that's not nearly as much fun, right?? ;)

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can the title be changed as it comes across "click bait-ish".

I would never believe someone at a hotel level to communicate NEW information about SPG policy/benefits.

Flews likes this.
  6. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    The title of this thread is incorrect.

Cheers,

KENNECTED likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry about the title - I'll change it if I can - at the time I posted I thought the info I was given (as it was by a manager level employee was correct - even though a minor change). I was actually quite surprised when the GM told me it was not correct and was apparently a misunderstanding by the staff involved. Albeit I have seen individual hotels change/abolish the in house discount in restaurants, but I was told this was ordered due to the merger - now a fact that was obviously NOT correct.