Unable to prebook premium class meal selection

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canadi>n, Oct 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like there've been some major changes to pulling up bookings. The format is quite different and no longer gives the meal selection option.

BTW does AA still practice FEBO for meal selection on board? Want to know which end of the cabin I should sit in to ensure I get my choice.

zpaul likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    FEBO is still practiced on my AA flights. I think for the most part on US they just go front to back.

Haven't taken notice of meal selection since I'm usually too lazy to do it ahead of time.

zpaul likes this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were still doing FEBO yesterday. :)

zpaul likes this.
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meal selection has been pulled from the website for existing bookings and is supposed to return after Oct. 17.

In the mean time, you can contact your Res desk or the Twitter team and they'll do the booking for you.

zpaul, skyvan, timfrost and 1 other person like this.
  5. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    No more FEBO as of one year ago; no more easy acronyms :eek:. It's now:

As of September 2014 the new system for taking meal requests depends on flight cardinal direction and whether any time zones are crossed.

When an aircraft flight involves a change of time zones: easrbound: from forward / front to aft /back; westbound: from aft to forward

If the flight does not involve a change of any time zones, take meal preferences: southbound: from forward to aft; northbound: from aft to forward.

aa.com has removed meal options until November 2015. Those who wish to order meals may do so by calling.

brodyf, zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    oy. guess mine was a lucky coincidence.

zpaul likes this.
  7. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new (and ridiculous) method is in effect really similar to FEBO as most flight numbers line up with the cardinal directions rule. The big difference is that the FAs could understand FEBO and they have no idea how to handle the new rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizzaman and flyforawg like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My experience on US flights is that they really must not have had to focus on service standards much in the past. The difference on IAD-LAX, which used to carry senior AA FAs, is starkly different in many aspects, the least of which is meal service.

I could care less in most cases what I get for a meal, that's not why I fly. But, simple things like drink requests/refills are painful. Still hoping that changes.

flyforawg likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I especially liked the one from this past week on IAD-LAX when my 9-year old daughter said she was hungry and the FA (looking at her watch) said she wasn't allowed to bring the snack basket out until the last hour of the flight.

The broken seats and tray tables aren't bad, either.

flyforawg likes this.
  10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nice. It's a shame that they fly the worst equipment on the longest route (IAD-LAX), while IAD-DFW is gets a 738.

flyforawg likes this.
  11. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just posting my experience with the meal selection.. I went down to SCL last weekend and contacted the Twitter team a few days prior to ask about meal choices. These are their replies:

DFW-SCL
    • For your outbound pleasure we have Spinach Stuffed Ravioli, Coffee Crusted Beef Filet, Roasted Duck Breast and Blackened Salmon.

SCL-DFW
    • For the return, Whole Wheat Penne Pasta with vegetable medley, Beer Braised Beef Tenderloins and Grilled Herb Chicken. Let us know your favorite choice and we'll be glad to request it for you.

There was a fourth meal listed on the return menu that they didn't list, but otherwise accurate.

timfrost likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew first class from MCO - DFW and DFW - SAN a few weeks ago. I heard that I was able to request my meal, so I called reservations to do so. However, I was told that meal requests could only be made in advance for international flights. I guess that wasn't the case. In both times, I was in row 6. On the second segment, they ran out of my preferred choice, but she was nice enough to offer a salad from the back. It was good. The warm nuts were a nice treat.

13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good case for HUCA.

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they up gauged IAD-DFW to a 738. I just don't understand the shrinking of IAD-LAX. If anything, they should have the newer Airbus planes with the in-seat IFE. Self-fulfilling prophecy of yield on that flight. F cabin almost always sells out, but can't imagine it will continue to do so if the product is worse than what UA is offering (which is, in turn, much worse than what Virgin is offering).

15. JRG

JRG Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a FRA-DFW flight in business on 14 Nov; are you all saying I can't pick the meal w/o calling them? I don't see anything about the meal on the website....

Thanks!

16. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. You need to call or tweet AA to select your meals. It is possible that they'll show up when you do OLCI (they did for my SCL trip last weekend), but you'd obviously be within the 24hrs, so that wouldn't be any help.

Pre-orders should return within the next few months (I hope...)

17. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a transcon in J coming up, so I tweeted AA for meal selection help. They responded saying that function isn't available online yet, so DM details and they could help. I sent them my itinerary info via DM, only to be told to call reservations. :rolleyes:

If I wanted to call res and deal with hold times and talking to a person, I wouldn't have used Twitter in the first place. Fail.

Pizzaman likes this.
  18. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all defense, I can't see Twitter being as efficient as a call when trying to present menu options, though you have a point about hold times. I do agree that Twitter is a far more preferable way to communicate with AA, though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    AA is hot-cold on Twitter. I've had experiences on both ends of the spectrum dealing with them. Still, given how easy it is to ping someone in Twitter, it's definitely worth the effort.

zpaul likes this.
  20. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    MJonTravel likes this.
  21. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    A quick DM to the @AmericanAir Twitter team worked for pre-ordering on my ATL-LAX flight Saturday. F/A noted I had pre-ordered when she was taking orders. I pre-ordered for my return on Saturday as well via Twitter. Even though it worked, I'd really just love to see pre-ordering fully functional on AA.com again.

brodyf and flyforawg like this.
  22. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    And pre-ordering is restored. Showing available for my flight on Saturday at AA.com. Thanks to JonNYC for the heads up.

23. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, better late than never. I'm glad to see my choice had been preserved at a minimum and very glad overall the system is back up and running.

"In order to bring you fresh, seasonal ingredients, meal ordering will be available from 30 days until 24 hours before your flight" [but the menu choices will be the same ones you had in September.] :rolleyes:

24. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the ingredients aren't also from September...:p

25. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a horrifying thought. "Well, better burn off all this chicken before it expires!"

flyforawg likes this.