Unable to hold an award segment on LAN?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Muerl, Feb 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I had an award put on hold, LIM-JFK(stop)-PHX-KOA. I called back today to book it and the LIM-JFK leg was canceled under the hood.

I had a great agent who understood what happened, and put the award back together for me.

She said that it was impossible to put a segment on LAN on hold, just due to how their systems interact. She also told me that Ibera segments can only be on hold for 24 hours.

I was wondering anyone else had see or hit this issue.

Also, you can in fact voluntarily downgrade for a the cross region flight on a business award if there is no availability it seems. Since the free one way is actually more valuable than the 'award' I was happy to put that together and wait the time for the seat to open up.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award bookings on LAN has been problematic going on years now. It not only happens with AA but also BA where they are unable to see the correct LAN inventory over
    extended periods. I expect this situation will only get worse with the integration/merger of LAN and TAM

Added to that AA has had problems holding award bookings with partners in part because some partners systems do not allow holds. I believe when AA sees awards on some partners a separate request is sent over which in turn must be confirmed by the partner ( this can take 2 days??) and availability may have changed or taken up in the interim.

The old adage is even more valid here .. if you see something you want/need go ahead and grab it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

The tickets were on request for about 18 hours before coming through. Now to write a bot to let me know where there is a ticket available.