Um...subcompact or SUV??

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by rwoman, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I figured my fellow MP'ers will appreciate this...I need a 24 hour rental car in ATL next moth...

A Ford Mustang or intermediate SUV is about $12 cheaper than a SUBCOMPACT...oh my. I figure I will not spend that much in gas...

:)robin

2soonold, wrxmom, cwpfly and 2 others like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be happening more frequently. At the end of January I needed a rental at MIA both before and after a cruise. The before was the more expensive. If I had gone with a subcompact or even an economy it was about $70 a day for three days. (plus taxes). But with a 7-passenger mini-van it wound up being $23/day.

After for another three day rental, with a drop in TPA, the price for the minivan was $17/day. Subcompact or compact was about $60/day.

BTW. The van got 26mpg on the trips. Subcompacts were supposed to get 30. Think it worked out nicely.

2soonold, USAF_Pride and rwoman like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also want to give a shout out to AutoSlash.

USAF_Pride and rwoman like this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing for me @ BWI. $12 cheaper/day for the mustang. I drove it like I stole it!!

lisamcgu and perryplatypus like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget handling. While I enjoyed driving a Mustang convertible on my recent trip to Hawaii, that thing maneuvered like a boat. I would much prefer my trusty Civic for day-to-day needs.

perryplatypus and USAF_Pride like this.
  6. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take what's cheap. Who knows, based on where gas prices are going you might just end up with either of those anyways even if you did rent the subcompact. And to add insult to injury - they will tell you with a straight fact that you are getting a comp upgrade when you know you are paying $12 more per day for the subcompact that you aren't getting! :)

2soonold and rwoman like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an Avis reservation at SLC last year. When I showed up to pickup my econo box corporate rental the older gentleman in front me in the tiny office was yelling at the attendant about the fact that he reserved some small car and the guy wanted him to take a Tahoe. After a few minutes I offered to take the larger vehicle if it would help the situation. After the guy left in my tiny junkbox the attendant was so thankful and gave me free gas on the Tahoe.

perryplatypus and 2soonold like this.
  8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deja vu. I have experienced this before when gas prices go up. And I am one of those old guys who wants a compact when gas prices go up. Don't let me reserve a compact, only to get there and be told there is nothing small to be had!

9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've rented Standard size only to be offered a 15 Passenger van or a Escalade as the last 2 available cars. I didn't want either, but took the Escalade. It ended up being 4-wheel drive and the clients site was really muddy. As a punishment, I returned the Escalade with so much mud on it, it had to weigh 200# more. We had a riot driving the thing through mud holes and almost had to get a bull dozer to get pulled out.

perryplatypus likes this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I've noticed in past years is that you can typically get a great deal on a full size (big) SUV in the Summer in Salt Lake City or Denver. Usually they come complete with ski racks. I would assume they rent these for big dollars in the ski season but in the heat of Summer they are at a discount. I don't ski but I do like a big SUV when I can get one cheaply.