Ultimate Rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Efilon87, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are the UR points more valuable when redeeming for travel: a) when you redeem though UR or b) when you transfer them to United/Continental? Thanks!!

NickM_LA

2. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you value.

If you redeem them for travel through the UR portal you only get $0.0125 per point. If you transfer them to UA and are able to find some really good redemptions you could easily be looking at $0.04 or more per point.

The main difference will be ease of booking. The portal lets you book any flight on any airline without any real need for hunting. Mileage award redemption will require work on finding redemptions that fit your number of miles.

Other difference is in speed you can redeem for. You could redeem your UR points immediately for a flight next week if you wanted, but it might be more difficult to find a UA award flight on such short notice.

mailbroad likes this.
  3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, still kinda new to this, and Im sorry for the stupid question which comes next: when redeeming for travel, are you looking for the more $/point ($.10/point is better than $.05/point)? Thanks!!

4. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends what you're redeeming for. The best value for points, period, is redeeming UA/CO miles for international business or first class awards. However, if you don't see yourself redeeming for those types of awards then it depends on the price of the ticket.

I doubt many would recommend redeeming points for domestic travel, but if you do then generally, if the cash price of the ticket is less than $300-350 or so, then using the UR tool is best. A $312.50 ticket will use 25,000 UR points (because of the 1.25 redemption bonus), which would be the same amount of miles for a UA/CO domestic award. However, tickets booked through the UR tool aren't subject to award availability and those tickets will earn miles thus there is a little extra value.

If the ticket will cost you more than $350 and there is Saver Award availability, then UA/CO is your best bet.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely the more, the better. For instance. Let's say you found yourself a flight that costs 150k miles round trip, but if you were to purchase the ticket yourself it would cost $10k roundtrip. That means you are spending your points at a value of $0.067. If you were to buy that same ticket using just UR points from the portal it would cost you 800k UR points. This means you are getting more than 5x the value by using your points as miles.

The big caveat is that you are able to find award tickets at a reasonable mileage rate and during a time you can travel at. But even if the ticket were to cost 300k miles you'd still be getting about twice the value. If you don't care so much about redeeming for first class international travel then spending them as cash at $0.0125 for some domestic coach travel might not be so bad. You'd get to use them a lot sooner and the value versus converting to miles is not as big a multiplier.

6. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    An additional thought to consider is whether dealing with the aggravation of mileage redemption is worth it...there's something to be said for simply buying a ticket to go somewhere (at the times you want) with your points. Chasing high redemption "values" can be a fun game, but only you can determine what your travel is actually worth.

javacodeguy likes this.
  7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that you can also transfer UR points to BA. Although I dislike their new Avios program, they do have some gem redemptions, especially non-stop AA domestic redemptions, since shorter flights that may cost a lot more $ can redeemed for less mileage.

8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So i guess the big question is which program do I transfer into, BA or United/Cont? Is the new BA Avios program that bad?

9. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that's one of those "depends" kind of questions. If you have no attachment to either program, then UA/CO is probably the better value for redemptions because there are no fuel surcharges and better redemption values in certain areas (at least for now). But if you already have a bunch of BA Avios, then adding to that instead of splitting your points is probably the best.

All in all, unless you're about to cancel the card, I would wait until you actually have something you want to redeem before transferring. The UR transfers were more or less instant when I transferred my UR points to CO miles.

NickM_LA and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For us..we love the new Avios changes..going from RDU to NYC is only 9000 BA miles roundtrip instead of 25000 aa miles. Paid tickets are usually $200plus and award availability is good. Also taxes are $5 and you can book last minute (same day) and get free bags and no last minute penality. Keep them in your UR account until you need them.

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free bags? Do you have AA status or how else would that work?