Ultimate Rewards SWUs??

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by milesbuilder, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milesbuilder

milesbuilder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having learned the hard way on using UR points for hotel rooms (doesn't earn points/stay credit for Hilton) I wanted to do some prelim before booking some DFW/OGG tickets on AA.

I checked with both AA & UR and they both say they don't know until tickets are booked/purchased.

Has anyone used UR points to book AA tickets then SWU after the fact? Is it standard operating procedure or are there any landmines to be aware of?

I searched forms and did not find anything specific to this hence the new thread.

2. pkerr

pkerr Active Member

Status Points:
    I would call AA and ask them if there is availability on the flight you would be booking through UR. I've done this in the past when contemplating a trip. I'm not going to book unless I know there is an SWU available.

3. milesbuilder

Status Points:
    Good point there, thanks

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be fine. Booking travel through UR is just like a travel agency except you pay with points and not dollars. Hotels generally do not provide credit when you book through an agency like Orbitz or Expedia, and UR is no different. However, airlines do provide credit, and many will let you upgradyour you purchase elsewhere. (Unlike BA, apparently, which only added that benefit today.) Both UR and AA are understandably trying to protect themselves, but it's unlikely that UR is using bulk fares or other discounts that are more commonly ineligible.

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    On AA, all published revenue fares are eligible for SWU upgrades. So, booking with UR should be fine. UR should be able to tell you the fare basis before you book, if you want to be certain.

You can use ExpertFlyer to check for flights with upgrade availability before booking, then call AA to apply the SWU once ticketed.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My understanding as well, UR bookings are revenue except points are used instead of $$$.

anabolism likes this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think most credit card reward programs are like that, but I haven't used them (I use the airline- and hotel-specific reward cards).

Still probably a good idea to know which fare basis codes are used.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally the price is quoted in both dollars and points. To figure out the fare bucket, search ITA for a similarly priced ticket with the same flight numbers.

9. milesbuilder

Status Points:
    Thank you all, my upcoming trip to ORD seems to confirm this as my tickets paid with UR points showed up as typical tickets eligible for EXP upgrades and the fares I see match the fares I see on AA's site. Appreciate the confirmation from everyone.