Ultimate Rewards Points--Too Awesome

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mrx900, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    is it just me or is the Ultimate Reward points just too awesome. You can pretty much hop scotch the points across 4 cards over a span of years, and not worry about losing them in terms of being able to xfer them to airline/travel programs.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's mostly you ;). But the UR program is indeed quite flexible and versatile. One thing to keep in mind is that "your" points belong to Chase, and only exist in their account. Having them in such secure location for extended time, one always needs to worry about losing access to them.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Im about to be grounded for awhile cuz were having twins soon--so I figured I could just rack up the points = miles for that first ever family vacation to the tropics of Malaysia :D

4. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulation! Soon to be dad.

5. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    How flexible are UR points for transfer miles / points to other people (non- family members)

I know MR is fine but I heard UR is clamping down?

Congrats on your twins! Will be a handful both hands full in the tropics of Malaysia!

merice107 and Kalboz like this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a risk I'm not willing to take, considering how highly I value UR points. Tales of bloggers having their UR accounts frozen and losing points is enough to sway me from trying it.

Kalboz, rodeojones and lsed like this.
  7. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I honestly havent had any issues transferring them to other people, and others transferring to me. I wouldn't do large chunks though, as that might be a sign perhaps? I have been xferring like 10,000 pts or below.
    One of my readers emailed me and said she called Chase to do the transfer and said she was 'gifting' someone and the agent was happy to do it. That may be one way to go to avoid getting burned.

Thanks on the twins!...I think I'll wait they are old enuff to actually enjoy business class :D

Kalboz and lsed like this.
  8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. ricohitman

ricohitman Active Member

Status Points:
    UR points are awesome, but don't hold them in your account. Transfer them at as you get them to airlines or hotels that you believe you will use in the future.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. govtmule

govtmule Active Member

Status Points:
    Why shouldn't you hold them?
    In case they freeze/close your account?

Kalboz likes this.
  11. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should always hold them until you are ready to transfer them, or have a specific award in mind. Throwing them into airline programs, especially, can be dangerous, cuz they can be devalued

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bingo. The risk of devaluation is higher than the risk of account closure (unless you're hitting way too hard and/or doing things that are clearly against their rules, whether the system allows it or not).

13. uncommonsensical

uncommonsensical Active Member

Status Points:
    actually, i'll call bingo as well.

the thing is, for those of us who are manufacturing spend (ie: everyone, more or less), we are ALL pretty much going against the rules. cash equivalents, the cornerstone of spend, are forbidden from earning points on most cards. THEREFORE, we are all a VR away from the hammer falling. check the threads- chase is more brutal than amex. amex gives you a window to tfr points if you get a FR. chase just takes it all away in a warning-less instant. granted, most of the horror stories seem to tie to bank account issues, still.... given the # of points they've grabbed and never returned (from my reading, anyway)- it's a big gamble if you've got a big balance.

i never wanted to move points until i had firm plans and award availability confirmed. however, i reluctantly transferred 1/2 my points to UAL and Hyatt to be prudent. there is talk that under review the issuers do have visibility into what we buy to an unknown extent. thing is, some of my spending patterns seem a little suspect- given my annual revenues and the nature of my business, i sure do seem to be spending an inexplicable amount at office depot- for instance. not knowing what they know about what i purchased makes lying, if ever asked the question, ummm.... problematic. besides, i hate lying anyway.

my 2 baht worth...