UK Website Gotchas

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by adl73x, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday marked the launch of the 777-300ER AirNZ service from LHR. There was a lot of fanfare, pomp and ceremony according to AirNZ UK's Facebook page.

By happy chance I needed yesterday to book LHR-ADL for Mrs adl73x. Unfortunately, if you are connecting to an Australian destination, the Website now only permits booking the LHR-AKL sectors via Hong Kong, ie. NOT on the 777-300. It's fine if you try to book just to AKL, and you can (at a premium price) book LHR-LAX-AKL and AKL-ADL separately. There is no issue with minimum connection times. Just computer says no.

The AirNZ service centre were eventually able to book the trip (via LAX) over the phone, and to their credit waived the service charge.

Funny: booking online before now I've always had the option which way I go, and never really cared. Now I care, I no longer have the option :)

kiwi and ThatJohn like this.
  2. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    While we're talking about booking from the UK, remember that the .co.nz site offers markedly cheaper domestic fares, including Grabaseat and Smart Saver fare buckets. The .co.uk site only offers more expensive buckets as "Economy". I reckon I saved my parents hundreds of dollars by booking using the NZ site rather than the UK one.

kiwi likes this.