UK Newspaper reports AA951 nearly collides with US Military cargo plane - 20 Jan 2011

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MarkUK, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    American Airlines flight 951 was en route to Sao Paulo, Brazil, about 10:30 pm on January 20 when a warning system alerted pilots to an impending collision with the two U.S. Air Force C-17s, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a statement.
    American Airlines spokeswoman Andrea Huguely said the Boeing 777-200, carrying 247 passengers and 12 crew members, was less than a mile from the two planes.

2. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scary.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be scary if you believe the newspaper report. I have become highly skeptical of newspapers, because every time they report on something that I have independent knowledge of, they get it all wrong, don't even come close. As an example, if the planes were within a mile of each other, but had 500 feet of vertical separation, there was no real chance of a collision.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  4. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The New York Times has further information on the story - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/nyregion/05planes.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

The airliner, a Boeing 777, was under the control of one Federal Aviation Administration air-traffic controller, and the two military planes were under the jurisdiction of another, but the three planes were near a boundary that divided the two controllers’ airspace, according to the aviation agency, which is also investigating.

5. AAfan

AAfan Active Member

Status Points:
    I suspect this happens far too frequently, but that the systems designed to prevent a collision worked as expected.

6. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doe the C-17s also have TCAS installed?
    Presumably yes?

7. AAfan

AAfan Active Member

Status Points:
  8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the New York Times article: "The board offered only basic information; it said the planes came within a mile of each other, but did not specify their difference in altitude." Thanks for not getting the relevant information - altitude separation makes all the difference. [​IMG]

oklAAhoma likes this.
  9. I don't get it. Is there something wrong with being "near a boundary," as long as you're not on the wrong side of it? It just sounds like needless sensationalism.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like that to me too, in the absence of further information.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on that flight. I kind notice that the aircraft was taking a lot of manuevers after the first hour, I even thought it was the co-pilot trying to adjust the B777 to it's course, I almost had a heart attack when I read this news!!!

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Eloy Fonseca Neto. Welcome to MP. I wouldn't get too upset yet - news organizations have a vested interest in making things newsworthy, so sometimes things get blown out of proportion. If it was really as bad as the article made it sound, we will hear more.