UK banking - deposit cheque

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jason8612, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a UK bank account and got a UK cheque in. My account is in HSBC. Problem is I'm in Poland. How can I deposit it I will be flying thru UK in a few weeks but I don't think I can make it to a branch (including as it will be a weekend). Can I deposit it in a ATM or sign it and put my account nr on the back and drop it off in a dropbox like in USA?

Horse and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best way is to send it by post. Use your branch address, if you do not have a central one, endorse teh checque to your account and send it off. That works. It's old fashioned but it works. You might want to call your bank to determine if they ahve a central address for posting checques. They did a few years ago but it may have been discontinued.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should endorse is "for deposit only" and write your account number before your signature, with your name signed in the form it is on the face of the check of course. Enclose a deposit slip from your account. If time is important or if it's an extremely large check, you might want to use FexEx or the equivalent, being sure to address it to a street address rather than a PO box.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mailing checks works for sure in Canada. I have needed to transfer money from one bank account to another and couldn't do it online. I have mailed checks from one bank to another bank from Taiwan and Japan. Both times the bank just deposited into the bank account and it went very smooth. The catch is, it takes a couple of weeks all total so if you need access to the money, it can be a pain.

jbcarioca likes this.