UK- 42,000 Bonus Miles for AMEX Platinum Referral

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by BAFlyer2012, Mar 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BAFlyer2012

BAFlyer2012 Member

Status Points:
    Hi All, American Express have a fantastic offer of 42,000 Bonus miles for taking out their Platinum Chargecard, when you are referred by an existing cardholder.
    As a UK Platinum Cardholder myself, i would be very happy to refer anyone who is considering or would like to take out a Platinum card, feel free to PM me with your email address and i will send you the referral link. I also will gain some bonus miles from referring you so it works well for us both.

Here's some info on the American express Platinum Card =

www.americanexpress.com/uk/platinum-card/

I have held the Platinum card for over a year now and travel several times a month and can honestly say it is a brilliant thing and an absolute must if you travel regularly. It is not a credit card, just a chargecard(with no limit) so 30 days with no interest, you just clear down every month, and for the £300 annual fee you get The two free Prestige level priority pass cards (Highest level, worth £259 per card), worlds best travel insurance(also covers your spouse when travelling with you), Hilton Gold Status (and equivalent with Raddison, Starwood, Hertz and others) 24-7 concierge free of charge (i have used this to arrange gifts for interntational business clients, booking tickets to sold our concerts and to get tables at restaurants with several month waiting lists), and access to Amex fine hotels of the world programme (5* hotels for phenomenal rates aswell as AMEX only benefits such as complimentary room upgrades and guaranteed early check in and 4pm checkout), aswell as perks like fast track airport security at Toronto airport just for showing your Platinum card make this a great thing to have.

BA also regularly run offers exclusively for Amex Platinum CardHolders whereby you can exchange your AMEX miles at 2 for 1 for BA Miles with no upper limit, so those 42,000 are actually worth 84,000 miles (approximately a complementary business class return ticket to NY)!

I honestly cannot recommend this more highly to anyone.

If you'd like the bonus 42,000 miles and are UK based, please PM me and i'll happily send you the referral link - i have already done for several others on the forum.

Any questions on the card, happy to help

Best wishes.

2. BAFlyer2012

BAFlyer2012 Member

Status Points:
    Hi All, just to let you know this great offer is still valid and I've now successfully referred several members here who've all received the 42,000 bonus miles and very happy to continue to do so- just send me a PM with your email address if you'd like the referral!

Best wishes,
    Rod

3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    The offer of 42,000 membership rewards with the 22,000 MR kick back to the referrer is still valid, but the Annual Card fee for the UK Plat Amex is now £450, and from earlier this year the travel inconvenience insurance does not apply unless you booked all your travel on the card, and medical insurance is no longer offered to cardholders over 70.

And unlike the US cards, Amex still charges Plat holders 2.99% fee on all foreign exchange transactions.

There are some "enhancements" Amex UK are touting to justify the 50% price increase. These include Gold Status on Cathay Pacific for the cardholder, Hilton, Club Carlson, and SPG Gold and Accor Plat for the cardholder and supplementary cardholder.

However, what isn't mentioned in Amex brochures about these new conditions is that Hilton Gold and Cathay Gold are still only for the first year of card membership - Amex customer service and social media reps have repeatedly confirmed that these are effectively just sign up bonuses.

It is also not fair to say that there are regular 100% bonus MR to BA transfers. There has been ONE in the last four years, and that was by invitation only - it was not available to all cardholders - the other bonuses which are regular have been 30-40% only.

I hope you continue to get benefit from the card, as do those you have referred. I can only assume Amex are trying to reduce the card holdership with the devaluations and price increases, and thereby make it somehow more exclusive. There will be some for whom these changes don't matter much, but for me it is just a way of buying Starwood and Carlson status - and the latter can be had by several other less expensive means.

4. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am also happy to refer (PM me) - have had the card a few years now. Worth it if you travel extensively in economy, or use the FHR program. Currently we keep it for the travel insurance, car hire excess insurance and access to 4030 restaurant, which is usually private members only.