UK - 42,000 Bonus Miles for American Express Platinum Referral

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by BAFlyer2012, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BAFlyer2012

BAFlyer2012 Member

Status Points:
    American Express have a fantastic offer of 42,000 Bonus miles for taking out their Platinum Chargecard, when you are referred by an existing cardholder.
    As a UK Platinum Cardholder myself, i would be very happy to refer anyone who is considering or would like to take out a Platinum card, feel free to PM me with your email address and i will send you the referral link.

Here's some info on the American express Platinum Card =

www.americanexpress.com/uk/platinum-card/

I have held the Platinum card for over a year now and travel several times a month and can honestly say it is a brilliant thing and an absolute must if you travel regularly. It is not a credit card, just a chargecard(with no limit) so 30 days with no interest, you just clear down every month, and for the £300 annual fee you get The two free Prestige level priority pass cards (Highest level, worth £259 per card), worlds best travel insurance(also covers your spouse when travelling with you), Hilton Gold Status (and equivalent with Raddison, Starwood, Hertz and others) 24-7 concierge free of charge (i have used this to arrange gifts for interntational business clients, booking tickets to sold our concerts and to get tables at restaurants with several month waiting lists), and access to Amex fine hotels of the world programme (5* hotels for phenomenal rates aswell as AMEX only benefits such as complimentary room upgrades and guaranteed early check in and 4pm checkout), aswell as perks like fast track airport security at Toronto airport just for showing your Platinum card make this a great thing to have.

BA also regularly run offers exclusively for Amex Platinum CardHolders whereby you can exchange your AMEX miles at 2 for 1 for BA Miles with no upper limit, so those 42,000 are actually worth 84,000 miles (approximately a complementary business class return ticket to NY)!

I honestly cannot recommend this more highly to anyone.

If you'd like the bonus 42,000 miles and are UK based, please PM me and i'll happily send you the referral link.

Any questions on the card,

Best wishes.

Flying Bat likes this.
  2. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you will get 22,000 MR points for making a successful referral.

Two points worth noting:
    1) The "worlds best travel insurance" benefit is being seriously eroded from 25th January 2012
    2) The 100% MR to BA Avios was an unprecedented and targeted one off promotion. 30% is a more common promotion, but these too are not targeted at all cardholders.

There has been hope that with the serious erosion of the insurance benefits that Amex might drop the 2.99% foreign exchange loading on the Platinum card, but this too has been ruled out by Amex.

Unlike the Preferred Rewards Gold card the Platinum Amex gives only 1 MR per GBP.

The Hilton Gold status is for one year only, but the SPG Gold is valid for as long as you have the Plat Amex.

If, after taking all these into account, you decide that the UK Platinum Amex is worthwhile for you, I also would be happy to refer you so that we may both get some residual value from the investment.

Flying Bat likes this.
  3. BAFlyer2012

BAFlyer2012 Member

Status Points:
    Hi Adl73X, thanks for the reply.

As for your points :-
    " 1) The "worlds best travel insurance" benefit is being seriously eroded from 25th January 2012"
    I would prefer they weren't making changes but i do not agree at all that the benefits are being seriously eroded. They are changing it so that the travel must be booked and paid for on the AMEX card to be covered. To be honest i think that is a totally reasonable request but also i cannot see the issue, the point with the card is that every £1 you spend is equal to 1 Amex Membership Reward Point so the idea is that you want to put as much through the card as possible. If you are travelling with a spouse or even if your girlfriend is living with you, they are still fully covered, and as a member of the programme you are able to issue one Platinum Card free of charge to anyone of your choice( i gave one to my dad), and 5 Gold cards, all of whom are also covered on the travel insurance.

2) The 100% MR to BA Avios was an unprecedented and targeted one off promotion. 30% is a more common promotion, but these too are not targeted at all cardholders.

The 100% bonus on MR to BA was the first time i have seen it at that level, but many airlines as standard offer 1.5:1 on conversion of MR to their airmiles, even Virgin offer 1.3:1 and BA regularly offer 1.5:1

I can honestly say i couldn't be any happier with my card and if you travel regularly it is an essential as far as i am concerned. The benefits FAR outweigh the £300 annual cost and their travel team and concierge are superb, it is like having your own PA to arrange your hotels and travel for you. I just call up tell them the City and the dates and they will work out my best routing, airline options and recommend a fantastic hotel on their fine hotels programme that i will get early check in, late 4pm check out, $100 credit for food and complimentary room upgrade on as STANDARD.

As i have mentioned, i would be very happy to send through the referral link for anyone who'd like the 42,000 bonus miles, just sent me a message with your email address and i'll reply straight back with the referral link.

Best Wishes,
    Rod.

4. ad4life

ad4life New Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

The referral scheme is back in effect and I am more than happy to refer anyone who wants to indulge in the benefits the AMEX platinum card provides! This way it's a win-win...you get points for signing up and I get points for referring you! Feel free to send me a message if you want me to make it happen!

Thanks

Amino:)

5. Nubs

Nubs New Member

Status Points:
    Dear All

I'm also available for a UK Amex Platinum referral, should the others not be online.

Do note that there has been an increase in the annual fee, but also an increase in the perks. Marco Polo Gold (equivalent to Oneworld Sapphire) and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum are now available, which may help to sway your decision. Also, do note that if you go via Quidco, you can get £60 cashback on Platinum applications which may make the bitter pill easier to swallow ;)

There is also a temporary promotion for 1 free SPG night in various locations worldwide. PM me for more information.

Flying Bat likes this.
  6. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go via Quidco, unless you are very careful managing URLs and cookies, neither you nor the referrer will get the bonus points. The 42K/20K offer is tied to signing up via the link sent in email from the referrer.

7. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend the best value deal for you is to get your referral through an ebay seller, you will get something like £125.
    It's clearly better than quidco and I prefer to support individuals over corporates where I have a choice. Anyone I know who has gone this route have been pleased with the result.

8. BAFlyer2012

BAFlyer2012 Member

Status Points:
    As per my original post i am more than happy to refer any member here, as i have already done for several members - just PM me your email address and i'll send you the referral link!

9. Clarkie

Clarkie Member

Status Points:
    is this only for UK Amex Platium or can it be anywhere including USA?

10. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uh oh, this thread is at risk of all comers hijacking it with requests to be a referrer.

Just to create a little wave, I will go the other way. No referrals from me. Definitely not. No, never. Don;t even ask.

adl73x likes this.
  11. sachbal

sachbal New Member

Status Points:
    hi i wwould like to get

12. sachbal

sachbal New Member

Status Points:
    hi ow ould like to get the amex plantinum, is there a minimum spend also and you get the 42,000 after how many days please my email is sachbal@yahoo.com

13. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Email sent. The initial minimum spend is £1500 within 3 months for get the bonus MR points.

14. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am also happy to refer (PM me) - have had the card a few years now. Worth it if you travel extensively in economy, or use the FHR program. Currently we keep it for the travel insurance, car hire excess insurance and access to 4030 restaurant, which is usually private members only.​

15. jkuk12

jkuk12 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello:
    May I get a referral link for the bonus platinum card?
    Thanks.

16. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've got a Personal Message.

17. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont think the bonus is 42k now, double check, but it's in the 30k range.

18. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bonus is 35000 points for the applicant and 18000 for the referer.

The 35000 MR points are awarded after £2000 spend.