Uh-Oh, Where’s My Passport?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/b...a-stolen-or-lost-passport.html?pagewanted=all

The passport or wallet of even the most organized and experienced traveler can disappear or be stolen in the rush of travel.

In the last fiscal year alone, the State Department reported 253,037 lost passports and 60,984 stolen worldwide. In 2011, there were more than 109 million valid United States passports.
    And while the State Department and its counterparts in other countries have procedures for replacing a lost or stolen passport, time zone differences, weekends and holidays can complicate and slow the process.

Chris Crowley, 44, who is British and has been traveling the globe for 15 years, lost and found his passport over two days on a business trip two years ago that took him from London to Singapore, Chicago, Washington and back to London.

Mr. Crowley said that on the flight from Chicago to Washington on Continental Airlines (now United Airlines) he had put his passport in the seat back pocket in front of him. “I was in a hurry, fell asleep and got off the plane in Washington without it,” Mr. Crowley said.
    Mr. Crowley, who is senior vice president for global client management for Europe, the Middle East and Africa for BCD Travel, said he has two British passports in case he has to travel abroad while one passport was elsewhere, for example at the British Embassy if he was seeking a visa for China or Russia.

(American citizens can obtain a second passport, but that is considered an exception and decided on a case-by-case basis, State Department officials said.)

Mr. Crowley had arrived in Washington on a Tuesday night at 8 and was scheduled to depart on Thursday for London. First, he called the airline to report the loss. Then he called the British Embassy in Washington. “It was after 5 so I reached the automated system,” he said. Next, he called a number at the British passport office in London. “The automated message said to call the local embassy. It was circular.”

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/b...a-stolen-or-lost-passport.html?pagewanted=all

rwoman, MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this never happens to us!:)

rwoman and MLW20 like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a nightmare to a passport! It would be pretty hard to get back all of the hard earned stamps! lol

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well observed!:D

rwoman and MLW20 like this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What kind of imbecile puts something as important as their passport in the seat pocket? No wonder he lost it. Mine never leaves my pouch except for customs and checking in and then goes right back into it.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been the keeper of all passports for the family while we are on travel. Not sure if the Obsessive Compulsive disorder I display traits of was cause or effect of holding those passports (and my family's travel future) in my hands all those times, but I swear I check for all passports as we enter every hotel or conveyance, and again as we leave. (And a couple of times en route, just for good measure.):)

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically keep my passport in the same place in order to avert a disaster...worked so far! :)

sobore and uggboy like this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I feel better about my own paranoia now. :)

uggboy likes this.