Ugly boarding process at LAX yesterday...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX GAs have generally been good about the boarding process. Yesterday as a GLARING exception.

Flight 144 was running a bit late due to a 30-minute late arrival of the inbound. The departure board remained posted at the original departure time. I was #1 on the upgrade list, with EF going from F0 to F1/A1 90 minutes before flight time (checked again in gate area). Normally, if they're going to upgrade folks, they do it within 20 minutes of scheduled departure time.

Instead of following the current "First class and EXP" process, the GA boarded F first and enforced non-boarding of EXPs. Then they called PLT and EXP.

Since it was a FULL flight, and the usual "first class is full" announcement was made, I went ahead and boarded to my exit-aisle seat. Better to snag the bin space than gate-check a bag.

Good choice - this was a 737 with the Sky interior (and the new bins). Folks couldn't figure out how to put bags in. It took 45+ minutes to board the plane. I call it "excruciating".

After *everyone* was on board, including the full Y cabin, they came on board, called me to the front, and gave me the empty seat in F. Of course, the F bins were haphazardly full, and it took a couple of extra minutes to rearrange them. Too late to get a pre-departure drink. Oh well. Clearing me late also meant that someone who might have wanted an exit row in back didn't get to sit there.

Flight was otherwise good, except we ended up being an hour late in arrival, even though the inbound was only 30 minutes. Cabin crew was DC based, and had a couple of folks that recently came down from Boston.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad. On the other hand, it could have been like my US flight PHL-SEA last night. The plane was late arriving, then it sat around. The GAs made no announcements. Pre-boarding took 15 minutes for one person. Actual boarding was another 30 min. And the plane was only 70-80% full, with plenty of space in the overhead bins. While the FAs seemed reasonably professional once in the air, the whole boarding process seemed slow and lazy, with no effort to pick up the pace and try to make up for lost time. I don't know if I'll be moving to AA anytime soon, but I do continue to regret my occasional relapses to US.

3. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually sounds pretty typical of most of my flights with a late inbound...

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    In saying LAX GAs "generally have been good" about the boarding process, you apparently have had better luck than I have. Yes, some have, but not to my eye particularly better than other stations. Some people gripe about DFW but in my experience they're no worse than many others.

One of my least favorite LAX moments was when there obviously was a delay -- we were almost at departure time and they hadn't even started boarding yet, no postings had changed and I had heard no oral updates whatsoever. So I approached the gate agent and asked in an intentionally quiet, low-key voice if there was a problem or delay. She made a point of looking at her watch, then at me, and said "well, obviously," then tried to go to the next customer. Okay, lady, if you are so bothered, just make an announcement! Don't get me wrong -- they're not all like that. But this stuck in my craw and I thought of it when I read your "generally have been good" line.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the issue at hand?

1-Perhaps F only boarding was because Y wasn't ready?
    2-They honored the upgrade list and came to find you?
    3-As to your exit seat, I suspect the guy in the middle seat moved over? Or undoubtedly someone moved there from another row if the middle was also empty.
    4-You were even able to move your bag forward.

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    No issue, just ugly.

The only "issue" was that it ended up taking 45+ minutes to board the plane vis 30 minutes normally (and my upgrade at the very end was responsible for part of that delay....) I'm very grateful for the UG, just wish they'd cleared it earlier in the process to save time & not leave the entire Y section staring at me as I moved forward...

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am the same way. Relapsing to US is almost always a very painful thing, especially when dealing with the East .

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is so rare to see any bins efficiently packed:(

9. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're concerned about delaying the flight, why not move to your F seat and leave the bag in Y? You can always retrieve the bag and do the re-arranging to stow it in F once you reach a comfortable cruising altitude and the seat belt sign is off.