UGH times square is SO expensive

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by annerj, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of my travel is business and in smaller (read cheaper) towns. Going to spend a few vacation days in NYC next month (4/21-4/25)....WOW.

Lots of points or lots of $.

:(

doc likes this.
  2. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. NYC is not for the faint of heart. ;)

But you can sometimes find fairly decent rates there (i.e. between $200-$300) but you have to be flexible.

doc likes this.
  3. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    i would check around. I have 3 different hotels booked in Mar (Eastside, FI T Sq and Ren) and hit them all for a LNF. The FI is under $200; the other 2 are below $250. Too bad you don't want March!

4. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, check around.. prices will fluctuate.. & also MR point opportunities may open up..
    I've had good luck @ the FI on 40th, just around the corner from the PA.. its pretty nice & well located.. good breakfast, service etc... yet, FWIW, the downstairs lobby area is under construction now :(

5. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Points don't change...but $$$ do - and I just realized the dates you are going involve Easter Sunday. SO you have spring breakers, long weekenders, and those coming into the city for services at St Pat's or wherever. Also Easter is late this year, so is coming just before the start up of the spring tourist season....all will result in your weekend being one of the higher priced of the year.

There are some hotels running pretty decent specials...but not Marriott as of yet.

doc and Wurm like this.
  6. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    What LNF site for the Ren?

doc likes this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One additional factor is that the NY Auto Show opens that weekend as well. Although of course most show visitors are local, most of the exhibitors, support people and such come from out of town, and they generally prefer the Times Square area hotels (for proximity to the Javits Center).

One option is to book a cancellable backup now, then wait a couple of weeks to see if any rooms being blocked for the show are released (generally 30 days before the start of the event). For reference, here is the show's hotel room booking site for reference:

http://www.autoshowny.com/show/hotels

doc and Horse like this.
  8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just looked in my notes and did not mark it down. I usually find them on marriott.,com, but don't think so this time....

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right that Times Square can be quite expensive indeed.
    One tip- unless you are really set on staying in this area- choose another district that has nice hotels at good prices. One place I often find good deals is the Soho Grand and their sister hotel Tribeca Grand. While these are not chain hotels, they are very comfortable even though some of the rooms are quite small. If you check out their specials page you may be able to find a good deal- especially on a weekend:
    http://www.sohogrand.com/special-offers-packages

10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might sometimes find some better deals down in the Chelsea or Union Square. But yeah, try looking around to some different areas that are a bit outside the main midtown tourist zone.

doc likes this.
  11. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On another thread:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/nyc-holiday-inn-119-a-night.6552/

Check out betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com to see what priceline rates have won. I've done good in the past using priceline.

I also used to be able to get one of the Sheraton Midtown for low points.

If you are going to see plays check out the hotel packages from playbill.com

12. justinhamlin
    Original Member

justinhamlin Active Member

Status Points:
    but having stayed at the Marriott Grand Marquis in Times Square, it is worth the money. Location, Location, Location. Gorgeous hotel and pretty good restaurants and bars on the premises, though in NYC, not sure why you would eat at the hotel

viguera likes this.
  13. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those exact dates your staying I actually got a price-guarantee discount (price match +25% off)on marriott downtown just a week ago. And for the days after I did the same on Radisson Martinique. So that's definitely something I would recommend trying...

doc likes this.
  14. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm going to book 5 night award stay in NYC for early June that spans a weekend.

And I'm probably going to book at either the Marriott Marquis or the Renaissance Times Square.

Does anybody know if one or both keep their Concierge Lounge open on weeends?

Thanks.

doc likes this.
  15. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Geez... I wish I'd seen this yesterday, since I was there @ Marriott Marquis.
    I'll try to stop by & find out today if I can get over there before I go home.
    BTW, the Fairfield Inn TS on 40th ST off 8th Av is a pretty good place & a very cheap point alterative selection! :)
    Mark

Horse and Cholula like this.
  16. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks doc.

We haven't been to NYC since just prior to 9/11 so we're probably going to do the Marquis or Renaissance thing. Plus I've got more Marriott points than I know what to do with anyway. :)

17. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither hotel keeps their CL open on the weekend. And know that the "lounge" in the Ren is really a blocked off area in the lobby for breakfast...and a free coupon for an appetizer in the bar in the evening. The lounge in the FS is more standard...plus is open all day w/ soda's etc. Neither is phenomenal, but IMO the FS is the better of the 2.

I have never received breakfast coupons on the weekend at either, although I always receive a nice room upgrade at the Marriott.

Cholula likes this.
  18. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks sophiegirl!

Of the two then we'd probably go with the Marquis.

And I'm Lifetime Platinum and maybe I can talk them into weekend breakfast passes. I'm pretty persuasive. :)

And we're not married to Times Square although that's our first choice.

Are there ANY other Manhattan Marriotts that are a better choice for amenities/ambience considering that the award points are not really an issue?

Thanks.

19. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow.. lil' surprised it's been so long.. since, of course, NYC is such a fine place to be visiting, as u know :)
    Well, I did stop back & check with 'em, live 'n in person earlier tonight.
    As noted above by sophiegirl, it is definitely still closed on weekends... they said it's shut, as of 2pm tomorrow, Friday.
    Needless to say, please let me know if I can possibly do anything 4 u while u are here.. as long as it's legal! :D

Cholula likes this.
  20. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    (bold by me....)

You will need to be. For perspective - I booked the cheapest room possible and received a 1BR suite overlooking Times Square. For 5 nights. Of which 3 were sold out. Weekend breakfast coupons? No.

As far as alternates...some people report being well treated at the Downtown location, but for me it is just too out of the way, as is Ren 57. ( I am there to go to the theatre, so have that timing and crowd factor to deal with. If you don't care, either could work for you) East side has a beautiful CL, with a gorgeous rooftop garden..but it isn't open on the weekend and the rooms are very small compared to the Marquis. The TSq Ren has more of a boutique feel - but no views from the rooms.

I think you will be happy with how the Marquis treats you.

doc and Cholula like this.
  21. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Then that's where we'll book.

Thanks for the analysis and recommendation.

22. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks again, doc! Very helpful.

doc likes this.
  23. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trip was good. The hotel was small but nice....the staff were all very good.

We packed in as much as we could for the few days there:
    Play - That championship Season (50% off from TKCS or whatever)
    Musical - The Book of Mormon ($30 tickets won from pre show lottery)
    Musical - American Idiot (last night of the production so we got an added bonus of concert)
    Mets game
    Knicks game
    and plenty of good food.

24. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest adding HotelDealsRevealed.com to the list of Priceline help sites. Priceline is arguably the best way to go (but not always).

25. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square in Sep. 2010 for 25K PC points per night (as all CPs are :) ) vs. ~$500 a night.