Ugh. The new UA site is live.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Aug 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate change.

Brit, njs281, rggale and 2 others like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only for select users. Both the new site (http://ww.united.com/ual) and the old (http://www.united.com/web) run in parallel at the moment (UAInsider mentioned removing from the beta label a couple of weeks ago - but it's still a mix of new and old even when you go to the new one).

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, as I'm going through it, I'm noticing basically the front page has a new look, but everything else is kind of the same. So far.

snod08 likes this.
  4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    New booking path is also redesigned. Overall it should look a lot more complete when they fix up the account/view reservation pages.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Garp74 likes this.
  5. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like the flow or the general user experience. I don't want to expand/contract every little thing every time I do a search just to see what I am interested in.

ssullivan, IDGflygirl, njs281 and 3 others like this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, I get the feeling that UA does not really care about the feedback anymore.
    Initially I wrote quite a bit of feedback via the "new" website.

I found one thing I like about the new site = It allowed me to search for airports not served by UA...but had some star partner serving it. That is a way to get a 016 ticket. However, the tickets were always outrageously expensive Y/B type fares (or C/D/J).

In the same vein...whenever I searched for a mixed Economy / Business $$ ticket, it seemed to only allow the most expensive fares to be combined.....

Anyways, we can all keep talking about this and that with the "new" vs "old".....but, we have to live with whatever UA provides.

On a different note, I am amazed by the number of companies that claim to build a "better" website .....and end up being a worse one.

The "old" UA website was indeed powerful for many reasons.

stephenbgarvan and Garp74 like this.
  7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started playing around with a UserScript last night to mitigate some of that, but then I got sleepy. :oops:

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is the award/upgrade inventory data, I've already got a script for that. Other bits, well, not so much.

Getting the "extra" data is much more challenging on this version of the site because much of the data is loaded in the background via AJAXy calls rather than in the core HTML load when the page is requested.

IDGflygirl, snod08 and Mackieman like this.
  9. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I already loaded your extension and it is great. :) I haven't looked at the code itself, but I'm sure it's fine. My thought was more behind my personal preferences for what I want to see and have visible on page load for various things. My hope is that deployment of MutationObserver will help with the AJAX calls. But it will likely be a while since I'm trying to get the new house ready to be lived in.

Wandering Aramean and snod08 like this.
  10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it me? or is there a little 'dynamic' pricing going on? I am gaming out an extra stop on the return (EWR/HNL/TYO is fixed) when I change between MNL or HNL the EWR/HNL varies by @ $ 400.00 and the HNL/TYO changes $ 2000.00.

11. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given how long it took to get the first portion of it to beta, and then live, I suspect we'll see the full site completed sometime around March 2022, just in time for the 10 year anniversary of the merging of the two legacy websites and frequent flyer programs.

13. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aaaaahhhh...the old site is gone for me now.
    Booooooo

14. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I stoopid or is it the UA site? I'm trying to book a simple Multicity award:
    IAH-SJO on 11/25
    SJO-CLL on 11/29
    CLL-LAS on 12/12

and it poops out. First time I was getting amessage along the lines of "there are no flights" then I figured a little workaround going to the old site (use incognito browser and type in ual.com).

When using the old site, it seemed like it would work. Able to select legs one and two, then it said "no flights" or some such garbage.

What am I doing wrong?

15. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I get that message it always means one of the segments is not scheduled to fly the day you've asked about. It's never obvious but some routes are not 7 days a week every week.

16. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Multicity awards never really worked well on the old UA.bomb

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Stopover at the point of origin. (though the latest itinerary may solve that)
    2) Trying to use the website to book multi-city.

Confirm that all three exist by doing searches for one-way awards. If they do then you can try the website. Or just call it in.

Pizzaman and ssullivan like this.
  18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Multi-city award itineraries were hit and miss on the old site, too.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

RobotDoctor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was getting the new site on my new laptop but now the old site is the only one coming up. Apparently I don't have access to the new site. Maybe it went out with Smisek! :D

redwoman and Dublin_rfk like this.
  20. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was rumored that he pulled the plug on the way out. I believe he took his only friend with him.

redwoman likes this.
  21. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yay, the old site is back! I can only hope that the "new" site was the brainchild of Smisek and it stays gone.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  22. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

snod08 and genemk2 like this.
  23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure which way to go on that. I was just training myself to use some of the ( 2 or 3 ) improvements. and the old / current site is a little twitchy right now.

redwoman likes this.
  24. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the old site, because I noticed that certain connections were not returned for certain routes on the new one. For example, SFO-LHR-FCO, departing 12:55 PM with a 3 hr layover (i.e. a very nice intin) was available on the old site, and no matter what I tried, I could not get that to come up on the new site. It could be because the LHR-FCO leg is on BA (very surprised to see that offered by UA, since BA isn't *A or a partner AFIK) and while I searched "all airlines" on the new site, the new site results didn't seem to be any different when the search parameter "all airlines" or *A was employed.

What I really prefer is the manner in which the search results were returned on the pre-2012 UA site. Left column was outbound, right column was return, and one could see on one page how the price changed when changing outbound and inbound. You could click back and forth to your heart's content, and find an itin that you could live with in terms of cost, connection time, connection airport, departure, arrival times, without having to jump from page to page.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  25. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed that all of my reservations booked on the new site list my full middle name, instead of just my first name and my middle initial. My profile has always listed my full middle name, but this had not appeared when looking at any of my reservations booked on the old site or on my boarding passes. Has anybody else noticed this, and is it likely to affect PreCheck?