Ugh. Requalifying on stays sucks.

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gconnery, May 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Want to continue to hold Hilton Diamond again next year for a specific stay, and have been too busy with SPG and Hyatt to pay them any mind unlike past years (for some :rolleyes: reason).

Anyway, decided I couldn't really go for the 60 nights requirement this year, so I'm going to do 30 stays instead. Which means keeping all my stays to 1 night. And when I do a 3-day trip like this week, I'm switching hotels every night.

Should improve my TripAdvisor score but man this sucks. And I'll be doing it a lot to get 30 stays (nights) done. Yuck.

daninstl and flyingdawg like this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can swing it, it is a lot easier to qualify on credit card spend instead. However I have been staying at multiple Hyatt properties in the same city for similar reasons

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    gconnery likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    After just 5 extended stays I am at 75K base points. I am doing my 6th stay right now at ES YUL, which should take me to just over 90K base points. That will leave me with just 2-3 extended stays (one already booked for Conrad HKG at the end of June to early July) to requalify on base points, my preferred method. Making HH Diamond will be a cinch this year, quite likely with less than 10 stays... ;)

mtlfire and gconnery like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, sorry that doesn't happen with $180 hotel stays in Silicon Valley, often at Hamptons and Doubletrees and such. I think it would take me 48 stays or so at my current rate to hit Diamond that way. Not gonna happen this year.

IDGflygirl and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just get the right credit card and you don't have to worry about how many stays it takes to get Gold, to say nothing about bonus points from getting and using the card.

DTWBOB

Thomask and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a Hyatt Plat and SPG Gold through CCs, and a Marriott Gold through the JV with UA. I am guaranteed HHonors Gold through the Citi Reserve Visa if I should fail to make Diamond. Other than the Hyatt Plat, which is elite in name only, the other second tier elite levels ( especially HH Gold and MAR Gold) offer great benefits, which is why I do not feel like I need anything else other than making HH Diamond every year. It makes it easier, in fact.

Counsellor likes this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think normally Hilton Gold would be fine, but there's a particular event at a particular Waldorf-Astoria where it will be very much in demand at the time, and we had good luck previously. Don't want to chance it.

8. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    6 years in a row doing in on base points. I was a little upset it moved to 120,000. I made diamond with three stays by the end of March this year.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is somewhat bizarre that HH makes it so much easier to get this level by credit card than by stays or base points

Rest assured, however, that Diamond really doesn't give you all that much more than Gold.

adrianors and blackjack-21 like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all due respect, that line has already been debunked many times. I was Gold and have been Diamond for a number of years; there is a huge difference, which HHonors appeared to try to magnify when they started awarding the Gold status on CCs. I would consider it a major downgrade if I somehow failed to make HH Diamond...really.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    davef139 likes this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been Diamond and I've been Gold. I've had many many HH stays where as a Diamond I got exactly the same thing a Gold would get. A regular room and continental breakfast. I find it particularly annoying at properties like the San Jose Doubletree where not only don't you get any kind of room upgrade, but the continental breakfast is extremely limited and they insist on an upcharge if you want anything warm. No welcome amenity. Nothing. Frankly the only promise they make for Diamonds is Club access if there is a Club. Not even guaranteed late checkout, and I've been denied late checkout time and again. Everything else is at the individual hotel's discretion. Hyatt and Starwood go much further for their top elites in terms of upgrades and late checkout, and in Hyatt's case full breakfast.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is the same easily debunked canonical list from folks who have stayed at HH properties in the US that have poor regard for elites in general; and please do not get me started on the often heard canard about how Hyatt treats their Diamonds much better. I will just give you one to chew on for a while: as a HH Diamond, I have been upgraded to a suite almost every time (only few failures have been in the US) since this became an explicit HH Diamond perk, even on reward stays, and there is no limit on how many suite upgrades a HHD can have. How have you done at Hyatt lately with suite upgrades, which I put at the top of my list of desirable Diamond perks? Great breakfast at Hyatt, you said? Well, make sure you are a Diamond or you get zilch. Here is a lengthy head-to-head comparison of GP vs. HHonors that I did a while back. You might find it enlightening before you continue singing Hyatt's praises, especially now that suite upgrade costs are per night rather than per stay...

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    OceanBreezes and gconnery like this.
  13. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have the Hilton Chase reserve card which gives you one free WE night and automatic Gold status for as long as you have the card and spend $10000 a year.

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same experience at business Hiltons in the US. Though not at all of them. One place I frequented I could walk in the door and ask for a room and they'd give it to me AND guarantee me my usual corporate rate, probably kicking out somebody else who was paying more (if the place checked in 100% full). And I've had fabulous experiences at some "leisure" properties near the beach where we've been upgraded, given full hot breakfast, etc. It all depends on the hotel.

My experience with Hyatt and Sheraton has been similar. I've stayed at the Sheraton San Jose (really Milpitas) a LOT and rarely been upgraded to even an SPG floor (they have four of them) as a Platinum. And their lounge absolutely sucks--almost no point in going there other than a free soda maybe. But at the same time have had wonderful upgrades and great service at some leisure properties.

It all varies. Personally I could care less about being upgraded on most solo business stays. I just want them to upgrade me on holiday with the family.

WilliamQ likes this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more. On a business stay, I really just need a room. On personal trips, we need space... preferably without additional costs. :)

16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh WIFI / Broadband is something that is useful but FREE breakfast with family.... Priceless...

17. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But of course as everybody points out you get free Wi-Fi with Hilton Gold (or maybe Silver?) and you can get that really easily. Its those occasional wonderful upgrades I want for family.

I'll also say that when I've gone up to the front desk and said something along the lines of--I'm here a lot, I generally don't care whether I get upgraded or not, but this week I've got familly with me, can you see if there is an upgrade available--I've had very good luck.

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely not bashing diamond as I try to requalify each year. But have to admit that its rarely gotten me into a suite. I've noticed if I book with say a Waldorf the hhonors, I won't get a suite (except the one in Orlando), but I get better treatment if I book via Amex FHR than as a regular diamond through the hhonors channels.

Other than that, I can't complain.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try asking explicitly for a suite upgrade at check-in because, despite my high success rate, only a couple of times did I get upgraded to a suite without my asking.
    I get plenty of recognition at HHonors regardless of how I book. Speaking of recognition, suite upgrades and breakfast, below are pics from my REWARD stay at Waldorf-Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, where I was upgraded to a Junior suite (depicted), and had free full breakfast, which was nothing short of a royal feast, every morning at the Brasserie (depicted), Dec 21-26, 2013 (BTW, breakfast, full or continental, is NOT part of HHonors elite benefit at W=A, but this and other W=As in Asia consistently ignore that rule for top tier elites -- that is elite recognition!)

WA-PVG.jpg

The notion that other frequent-guest programs treat their top elites much better than does HHonors is simply bunk, stuff of urban legend.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    mtlfire likes this.