UG using miles/$ on mixed UA/CO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Though I have shared here that we are now able to use SWU's on mixed UA/CO flights, I was wondering is anyone has tried to do this with miles/$ yet?

Explanation:
    Booked a flight for my wife and I for May 2012 ZRH-EWR-PHX. The ZRH-EWR is on UA metal and at booking NC=2 (yes, I was shocked to see that). I haven't got my 2012 SWU's yet so used miles/$ to confirm the UG's and was planning on switching that over to SWU's when I get them.

The EWR-PHX leg is on CO and at the time of booking was R=0, so no big deal about that UG at the time. Well, yesterday got a EF alert that flight has R=3 now. So called the 1K line, then transfered to the CO desk, then to CO supervisor, then to UA supervisior (all while I was on hold). CO agent came back and said NO, can't UG something you did miles/$ for with UA.

So, just curious before i try again if anyone has been able to UG on both UA/CO mixed metal itinerary using miles/$.

Thanks,
    John

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that for miles you actually must use separate awards between the two carriers while certs an be used across metal. Pretty sure I read that recently on the site.

AZjohn likes this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone would know it would be you Wandering Aramean ;)
    Guess I will wait until I get my SWU's then switch over to those and then see if there is any R availability at that time. I knew there was going to be some pain involved in this merger, so no complaints from me :p
    Thanks!
    John

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AZjohn likes this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, you and the UA and CO supervisors all agree (lol):p
    Glad you help find it in writing and I won't bug the 1K line anymore.
    Cheers,
    John