UEFA Euro 2012 - Poland/Ukraine HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by fraggle_rock, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Status Points:
    Hello milepoint community, I've been a reader for some time and realize now that I need your help.

If not aware the Euro 2012 is the European Soccer (football) Championship that runs every 4 years opposite the World Cup.

I have an amazing 12 day itinerary that is taking me to BRU, FRA, IST, KBP, and ATH. With the tournament in full swing the month of June and beginning of July I am having trouble finding accommodations for my time in Kiev, Ukraine. The dates I am looking at are 06/17 - 06/21. These dates are set and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have elite status in any hotel brands, you might be able to use this to force a reservation, albeit at rack rate.

Do you have any business contacts or know any locals in Kiev? They can sometimes help to suggest locally owned hotels or get your a reservation where they do business. Also, ask them to try various local travel agencies which in Moscow at least tend to own inventory blocks in various downtown hotels, so that the hotel's website and other sources can display contradictory availability.

3. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Status Points:
    I do have elite status in a couple programs but the published rates are seriously inflated. I do not have contacts in Kiev but I do have contacts in Germany and Poland. I hadn't considered it because they are not in Ukraine.

Thanks for the suggestions... a good starting point.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you truly must be in Kiev during this event, you may have no choice except to pay the high rates for some chain hotel where you have status. If these reservations can be cancelled, it might be wise to just grab something now, even at an exhorbitant rate, and then work on trying to find something on better terms.

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you go to visit surrounding areas and just visit Kiev, not stay there?

6. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although you would not be earning or redeeming points, you should take a look at homeaway.com or bedandbreakfast.com. I am not sure what availability will be like during an event like that, but HomeAway has several apartment rental options for me this June in Rio when there are almost no hotel rooms due to a UN Conference. Enjoy the trip. I would love to be going with you!

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Status Points:
    www.airbnb.com has been pretty useful. Will probably go that route or try to evoke status at one of the chains to get guaranteed booking.

9. Deniss

Deniss New Member

Status Points:
    Offer for all football fans!
    Trip to EURO 2012 in Ukraine for the matches against France!

Unique private tours in all price categories.
    Tours are available for fans at all income levels.
    The term trips from 3 days to 21 days.
    Group of 2 persons or more (without limitation)

Tourist company «Uncharted Europe», Ukraine

Our website: unchartedeurope.com
    Our mail in the country of proliferation of the tour: denissmazur@gmail.com
    Our mail in Ukraine: denissmazur@gmail.com etlnpu@ukr.net
    Our Skype: denissmazur
    Our phone number in Ukraine: 380502010850, 380955311948, 380505253614

10. ksenia33

ksenia33 New Member

Status Points:
    hello guys, Me and my friends have few flats to rent out in Kiev and Lviv (Ukraine). Please contact us for further information. We speak English, German, Polish, Russian and Ukrainian of course:) Email: oksanau12@gmail.com and visit our blog for pictures: http://euroflats.livejournal.com/

11. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the offer. I found availability at the Ibis in Kiev with a pretty good deal and points bonus on paid rate...